Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
ccats
My Device: Not Specified

Clean Install of Device Software Desktop Manager 4.5 Problem

I’ve just Installed Desktop Manager 4.5.  I’m having problems performing a clean install of the device software.  When I click on options, the choices to remove all application data and delete all currently installed applications are “grayed out” and uncheckable.  What am I missing? 

Trusted Contributor
Bolder
My Device: 8320, 8120

Re: Clean Install of Device Software Desktop Manager 4.5 Problem

Hi ccats

I don't think this is anything to worry about.  Chances are that you downloaded a version of the device software that is newer than the version that is currently on your BlackBerry.  When that happens the application loader automatically erases all currently installed applications on the device so it can put on the new software, and you can't change that.

Cheers!

New Contributor
ccats

Thanks Bolder!  However the device and desktop manager both have the same software.  I'm trying to perform the clean install as documented here: KB Article 11320 http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11320&sliceId=SAL_Pub....  THanks again for your help.   
Trusted Contributor
Bolder

[ Edited ]

If they are greyed out that means it is going to erase all applications.

Have you tried to just continue to the finish and see if the application load goes thru? it gives details of what is happening at the final screen with the finish button. It should say something like "erase all applications". There should be a list of things above the finish button of what the application loader is going to do. When yoiu hit finish, if it goes thru fairly quickly, like under 5 minutes, it probably didn't do the full application load, however if it takes some time (like 20 minutes or so) then it is working correctly. You will get a status bar and above that it will say "erasing applications". This means it is doing a clean install.

Also be sure that you have the correct device software installed for your model.  Help, About Desktop Manager, Device Software will tell you what is installed. 

Cheers!

Message Edited by Bolder on 06-27-2008 12:15 PM
New Contributor
ccats

Thanks again, but i'm still unclear.

Maybe I should rephrase my question.  How do it get a device back to factory default using 4.5.   

Trusted Contributor
Bolder

The first thing to do is be sure you have the device software installed.  To perform the clean install of the device software(what the KB you linked is talking about) you need to have 2 things installed on your PC:

1- BlackBerry Desktop Manager(which you have 4.5 installed)

2- Device software for your particular model from your carrier's website. (you can find out if this is installed within the Desktop Manager by going to help, about BlackBerry Desktop Manager, device software tab)

Once these two conditions are met, you will be able to run the Application Loader.  Make sure you back up your device before running the clean install because it will erase all your data.

Cheers!

New Contributor
ccats

The device software is downloaded and matches the version on the handheld.  I have successfully reinstalled the OS via 4.3, but I'm missing something in 4.5.  I cannot manually check the settings to remove all data and third-party apps.
Trusted Contributor
Bolder

What happens when you just go thru and click finish?
New Contributor
ccats

Thanks for your help, but i'm going back to 4.3 for awhile.  I'm having issues with Device Switch as well. :smileyhappy: 
New Contributor
bbscott8124

I have the same issue. When trying to reload applications with DM 4.5 I cannot check "delete all application data" or "erase all currently installed applicaitons" they are greyed out. Any ideas?