Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
cwils02
My Device: Bold 9930 (v7.1.0.267, Platform 5.1.0.230)

Re: Cleanly "Starting Over" with the Desktop Software (non-BES)

>>"The best of luck to you! Droids are very very different from BBs (I actually have one!)."<<

Do you have a clean method to sync the Droid to Outlook.  Having to have a gmail account, and/or going through the cloud is not what I call clean.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

cwils02 wrote:

>>"The best of luck to you! Droids are very very different from BBs (I actually have one!)."<<

Do you have a clean method to sync the Droid to Outlook.  Having to have a gmail account, and/or going through the cloud is not what I call clean.

I've long ago given up on perfect security (if that's what you mean by "clean"), so I do use Gmail as the interface between Outlook and my Droid, especially since it is very seamless between GMail and the Droid. Sadly, only calendar can be automated as far as Outlook<>GMail is concerned...contacts still require manual processing...one must be a Google Apps subscriber to get free contact sync between Outlook and GMail. But it's a simple matter to export a CSV from Outlook and import that to Google Contacts...manual, but simple.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

cwils02 wrote:

I wish I didn't know what you are going through.  Be sure to turn the auto update off on your desktop software.

If you haven't already emptied the Deleted Items folder in Outlook, you may be able to restore the deleted calendar entries in Outlook.

I don't know how to restore them on the device unless you can sync.  Oh, wait a minute, that's what caused the problem.

Charlie

FYI...I never allow auto-updating of anything. Further, as I recall, the RIM Desktop Software did not force any update...my recollection is that it offered the updates when released, but I had to actually say "yes"...I admit that I may be remembering wrongly, though.

In addition, before I perform any update having to do with data I rely on in Outlook (or otherwise, for that matter) is to copy that data (calendar and contacts) to a PST BEFORE I allow the update process to proceed. That way, if my data in Outlook should get whacked, I have that PST from which to restore it.

There is an old saying:

• There are two kinds of computing device users -- those who have lost data, and those who will

Clearly, I'm in the former group...so I'm rather conservative when it comes to backups, updates, etc.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
sheberry
My Device: Not Specified

You have been so helpful.., Because  my :circumstance" was so new...I simply deleted all files associated with BB desktop 7.? and then used the download you provided for version 6.1. I am AOK!

Thank you so much\. I will say this though...I knew that the desktop config would ask me for auto upgrades and knowing that this got me in difficulty on other occasions, I disallowed this. So, all ok. 

However...now I have a version of 6.1 that works...how, when do I know when it it is ok to download/upgrade to newer version?

Contributor
sheberry

You/your post have been so extremely helpful!

Contributor
sheberry

I hate thinking of that as solution. RIM (I am Canadian!!) needs to think like the others who have been forced into a consumer focus...what is my relationship and how can I enhance it?
Contributor
sheberry

Thank you. The download of the old progrma worked in my nstance
Contributor
sheberry

Whew! I did. I was aware enough to think of that...thanks....
Contributor
sheberry

Thank you so much. I was lucky in that my install was for all brand new thngs...so deleting the software and installing an older version worked for me...without the need for a clean isntall...
Contributor
cwils02
My Device: Bold 9930 (v7.1.0.267, Platform 5.1.0.230)

@sdgardne

Normally, I don't allow auto-udating either.  I always save the executable, backup the device & Outlook Calendars & Contacts, then run the executable.  There was definitely something that was different about the upgrade from 6.1 to 7.0.  I may have missed it, but I did not see the option to download the executeable.

Surely, in any case, you must agree that this update is significantly different that those in the recent past.  It involved a major change away from Intellisync, using different parameters for how to specify how calendar entries are managed which could not even be converted to 7.0.  I, for one would have liked to have been informed by email or something of those major changes prior to them being implemented.

My major criteria for my device are:

1) Physical Keyboard (The Bold is about the best that I have used so far).

2) A calendar & contact sync that only requires connecting my device to the PC that is running the instance of Outlook that I am syncing the device to.  Having any particular email service, especially one where your data is being mined, or connection to the cloud should NOT be required.

3) It needs to have an easily replaceable battery.

I have to tell you that this Desktop snafu has not left a good taste in my mouth for BlackBerry.  I have not heard of a clean sync for Droids.  iPhone doesn't have an easily replaceable battery.  Not sure where to go from here.