Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
sheberry
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Cleanly "Starting Over" with the Desktop Software (non-BES)

Just gotta say... regular, old normal users like me would be no where (and hugely frustrated) without poeple like you all.  Thanks!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

sheberry wrote:

However...now I have a version of 6.1 that works...how, when do I know when it it is ok to download/upgrade to newer version?

Hi there!

You had a bunch of posts there, that seemed to be responding to other prior posts, but there's no way to know what you were intending since new posts just go "in order"...unless you quote, there's no way to know which post, in the thread, you are actually responding to.

But, as for your question here...I believe the best thing to do is keep watching here on this site...once newer updates come out and the clamor of complaints subsides, then it might be time to consider upgrading. It will be 100% your own judgment to make, based on the best information you can obtain.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

cwils02 wrote:

Surely, in any case, you must agree that this update is significantly different that those in the recent past.  It involved a major change away from Intellisync, using different parameters for how to specify how calendar entries are managed which could not even be converted to 7.0.  I, for one would have liked to have been informed by email or something of those major changes prior to them being implemented.

There is nothing about what you've said that I can disagree with. Indeed...I, too, would have preferred some pre-release information! Sadly, I've now seen two sets of Desktop Software 7 releases (first 7.0 a few weeks ago, now 7.1 recently) that had absolutely no release of information whatsoever. Instead, the new version just showed up on the official download page (which, btw, is the ONLY way I ever obtain updates to the Desktop Software...never any method that the app itself offers). Note -- if you want some additional "comic relief" about all of this, just take a look at the official System Requirements pages for the (Windows) Desktop Software...you will find some quite interesting contradictions there I am sure!

But, in any event, to paraphrase you -- surely you must agree that, as end users, there's also absolutely nothing whatsoever that we can do about all of that... In my volunteer time here, I've reached a point where I've given up on the "why" and "what if" types of discussions...there really is nothing to be done about those...so I tend to stick with the "what is" discussions and hope to add some minimum of value to those for other users who wish to get the most they can out of "what is". For those who choose to move away from BBs and onto other platforms, I do nothing but wish them well.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
rahul_does
My Device: Tour 9630

8) OPTIONAL -- if you truly want a clean start over AND you are 100% sure that the data in your PC Desktop Organizer (e.g., Outlook) is accurate, then, at this point, you can clear the BlackBerry of all Organizer data so that you can start over fresh, using your PC Organizer data as master:

• KB10167 How to clear the user content databases from the BlackBerry smartphone

Thanks for the detailed post.

Regarding this one point, how is this different from restoring a BlackBerryBackup of all the contents?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hello,

The difference is that, if your PC desktop organizer contains all of your correct data, then doing the restore of that same data from the backup would be redundant...you are using your PC organizer as your master data source, so the data contained in the backup is extraneous.

Further, if the issue trying to be corrected is one of a bad record on the BB, then restoring that bad record (from the backup) would simply re-introduce the problem.

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
LGbb
My Device: 9900

Too right. Occam would have us give on on blackberry.
New Contributor
LGbb

Isn't that the reasoning behind 'beta' versions? People rely on this software - to run their business, sometimes - apparently - for life and death. Mine was working fine before. Whatever upgrade intended in the update, I might have skipped out on. What you're telling me is, don't install updates. If it works don't fix it? I've been a hardcore blackberry fan for years, but this has just about eroded the last bit of confidence I had.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

LGbb wrote:
Isn't that the reasoning behind 'beta' versions? 

RIM ran a Beta on this. My own personal judgment (though I dislike using that word!!) is that this rollout is no better nor worse than any prior major update that they've done. I have zero ability to obtain any empirical evidence to back that up, but it is my subjective judgment from having "been around" here for quite some time.

LGbb wrote:
People rely on this software - to run their business, sometimes - apparently - for life and death.

No dispute there...but each person must make their own judgement as to when/if to upgrade anything.

LGbb wrote:
Mine was working fine before. Whatever upgrade intended in the update, I might have skipped out on. What you're telling me is, don't install updates. If it works don't fix it?

Not at all...I know some folks that remain on WindowsXP to this day! They make their own decisions. The only purpose here is to provide information so that those making those decisions can do so with as much information as possible...but the decision remains theirs to make. The only intent of this thread is to provide folks with a method of recovery and, if necessary, fallback to a prior version...if the update is causing them insurmountable problems.

LGbb wrote:
I've been a hardcore blackberry fan for years, but this has just about eroded the last bit of confidence I had.

That is indeed a shame...but no fault in it...as I keep saying, everyone must make their own decisions.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
LGbb

Thank-you sdgardne for taking the time to respond to all of my posts. I think you are doing an impeccable job and I apologize if I came off somewhat trollish - I thought I was actually dealing with RIM - official - and was spouting frustration.

Yours is an opinion I instantly have confidence in, so, do you have any experience with iphone? I have had enough problems with blackberry hardware and software. I don't hear any complaints from my friends with iphones. I am PC - and prefer blackberry (and a real keyboard - it's not passionate, slavish devotion - there's an element of practicality in being able to feel your way around). But I am seriously considering iphone - not just for business but for all the cool apps I've encountered in friends phones. Also, why are you 'blackberry', (I'm assuming) and not something else?
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome.

I have only peripheral experience with iPhones, but they are a perfectly respectable device. Totally different from BBs, but respectable. BBs remain the most secure mobile devices available. iPhones have no ability to remove their battery in the case of some catastrophic OS lockup. You already know the keyboard differences. Other than that, each person chooses their platform based on their own personal set of needs and desires.

LGbb wrote:
Also, why are you 'blackberry', (I'm assuming) and not something else?

I'm actually on both BB as well as Android. As to "why", well that's a bit more challenging, and involves lots and lots of history as well as personal information, too detailed to go into here. As I always maintain, each person has their own unique set of needs, and the plethora of choices we have in our world allows each to choose something that hopefully approaches that need set.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates