Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930 (v7.1.0.267, Platform 5.1.0.230)
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Cleanly "Starting Over" with the Desktop Software (non-BES)

What you could do is:

1) Backup your Outlook.pst everytime before syncing.

2) Sync

3) Then restore from Backup everything that the sync deleted from Outlook.

That shouldn't take too long since you only have to sync to two computers.  Yea, right!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

cwils02 wrote:

Under number 8) OPTIONAL,

it talks about clearing all the data on the device if we are sure that we have everything in Outlook. 

The only problem with this approach, based on my last try with Desktop 7.? is that the organizer will delete data on my calendar (from the past) that I do NOT want deleted.  It gives no way to keep all the data on Outlook, but add data to the calendar on the device (Bold 9930).

Interesting...and a contradictory result to what I experienced when I tested this before posting it. When I did it, all 3,747 of my calendar entries (going back many years) were properly preserved in Outlook, and pushed onto my BB at the initial (since it's a "start over") synchronization.

But, since it's always better to be safe, I also had given then earlier suggestion to take a cautionary copy of all calendar, contact, etc. data to a PST before doing anything...just in case.

As with all recommendations, YMMV.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I have cleanly removed ver 7.? through every method that I know of including Revo.  Unfortunately--it seems--I also deleted all user data, backups, settings, etc. 

I still had 610_b038_multilanguage.exe from an earlier install. So, I installed it.  Without all those settings, the desktop software knows nothing about my devices; the 1st thing it wants me to do is to connect my device.  Then it starts "initializing the device" which it never stops.  At least not for six hours.  I'm using a USB cable straight to a super fast PC.

The only problem that I ever had before was getting errors when syncing the calendar.  I would just reun sthe sync about 3 times, and it would finish successfully.   Then on 6.1, it worked everytime, first time.  Then on v7.0, DISASTER.

Any ideas?  Hopefully 6.1 is still running on my notebook.

Hall of Famer II

Well, you didn't say, so I don't assume. Did you also install, to your PC, the BB Device OS package?

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer II

Update...for those "worst case" scenarios where 7.x just will not work, older versions can be found here:

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Aren't there specific bundles/version for each carrier?

Or will these work for every carrier?

I know that the v6.1 shown on this site is not the same as mine.

Also this is a site that tries to get you to pay for the privilege of downloading.

Contributor

Also this site has spawn links on the download page, and pops under a whole page of graphic spawn objects.

Yes, For sure, Good Luck.

Hall of Famer II

cwils02 wrote:

Aren't there specific bundles/version for each carrier?

Not that I've seen.

cwils02 wrote:

Or will these work for every carrier?

The Desktop Software is generic to all carriers. The Device OS Packages are specific to carriers, but even that's not an impediment to using them. It is, of course, entirely possible that some carrier has created a customized version of the Desktop Software...I can't figure a reason that they'd spend the money doing that, but one never knows.

cwils02 wrote:

I know that the v6.1 shown on this site is not the same as mine. 

Well, there were several levels of 6.1...the actual version is 4 octets long.

cwils02 wrote:

Also this is a site that tries to get you to pay for the privilege of downloading.

Tries, but does not mandate. Quite typical for most free hosting sites...they need to earn a living as well, don't they?

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer II

[ Edited ]

cwils02 wrote:

Also this site has spawn links on the download page, and pops under a whole page of graphic spawn objects.

Yes, For sure, Good Luck.

It does? Not for me...it did do a Captcha, but that's also to be expected. No pop ups, nothing spawned, nothing to cause me any concern at all...exactly as I'd expect from the kind soul (JSanders) who made this available to us.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

I tried to answer this in enough detail so that you would not have to assume anything.  Unfortunately, I got the error message that my Authentication had failed when I tried to post it.  Dummy me.  I should have created the answer in word or something and then done a cut and paste.

This whole DT 7 problem is wearing me out.  In one year I will depart from the whole world of BB's.  This is so stupid,  And, I've had BBs since the side wheel, introduced them into my company & installled the BES and everything.

The main reason that I have stayed with BBs since departing the corporate world "was" the great way that it synced with my Outlook. (& the keyboard).  Take away the syncing, and I'm having a real problem finding a good reason to stick with BB.