Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Cleanly "Starting Over" with the Desktop Software (non-BES)

Some carriers might choose to "brand" the Desktop Software as their own...I have no idea which, if any, have chosen to do so. But it is not required...and I honestly don't see them spending resources doing so. After all, they already must spend resources testing and, if they approve, branding the BB OS packages they elect to release to their end users, and that I should think takes up much of their available time and is required...but doing so for the Desktop Software is not required, so I guess in a tough economy I find it hard to think that they would spend money they don't have to. Then again, nothing a carrier chooses to do will ever surprise me anymore...they are sometimes quite crazy indeed!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
nevillegill
My Device: torch 9800

well i have tried 3 times and still get runtime error so think i will be going to be going back to Vodafone for a new phone! nightmare.

thanks for all the help

neville

Trusted Contributor
porcha24
My Device: blackberry curve 9320
My Carrier: vodafone

everytime i download the desktop manager it downloads ok but doesnt give me a option to run if you know what i mean? its there but there is no desktop icon and when i go into my programmes it just gives me the option to uninstal it

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

porcha24 wrote:

everytime i download the desktop manager it downloads ok but doesnt give me a option to run if you know what i mean?

No, I don't know exactly what you mean. After the download, the file exists wherever you instructed it to be saved to, on your computer. You then have to go, with Windows Explorer, to that location and run the install file, which should then install the latest version.

Sorry, I did not put this explicit of instruction in as it is basic Windows instruction, not anything specific to the RIM Desktop Software.

porcha24 wrote:

its there but there is no desktop icon

If there is no desktop icon, how do you know it's there?

porcha24 wrote:

when i go into my programmes it just gives me the option to uninstal it

This is normal -- if it is already installed (e.g., a prior version), then doing anything there is designed to uninstall, and sometimes reinstall (depending on the app)...but, in any case, it's acting on the currently installed version, not the new one you downloaded since you did not run the newly downloaded install program.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor
porcha24

i meant when i go into my programmes it just gives me the option to uninstall i cannot actually open it

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

porcha24 wrote:

i meant when i go into my programmes it just gives me the option to uninstall i cannot actually open it

Well then, I do not understand what you mean by that. I was assuming you were going to "Add/Remove Programs" or "Uninstall a Program" (it varies by Windows version). But you seem to be indicating something else -- maybe your actual Start Menu? In any event, if you are attempting to follow the process I laid out, then uninstalling any and all previous versions is step 2, is it not?

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor
porcha24

yes thats what i meant add/remove programmes

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...then what I stated earlier (post 44) stands as written, and what I started to retract (with post 46) is negated. From there, what it is doing is exactly what it is supposed to do...you do not "run" or "open" programs from "Add/Remove Programs".

All of which, of course, now confuses me even more about your situation, to be honest... Is there something specific you are attempting to accomplish? Are you following the process? Where in the process are you having a problem? And what is the exact problem? From what we've discussed, frankly I am lost...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
missvick
My Device: Bold 9780

Well, this is out of sequence and I was refered to this thread to help with a problem I posted on a different thread, but wanted to say thank you.  I found the CD from when I first bought the phone last year with the older version 6.0 of the BB Desktop software on it and installed it (after uninstalling the upgraded one that wasn't working).  This appears to have solved my problem.  I am now able to sync my Outlook Contacts, which was not working before.  I appreciate the suggestion given to get an older version.  Now I guess I must ignore it whenever it tells me to download a new version. 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

missvick wrote:

Well, this is out of sequence and I was refered to this thread to help with a problem I posted on a different thread, but wanted to say thank you.  I found the CD from when I first bought the phone last year with the older version 6.0 of the BB Desktop software on it and installed it (after uninstalling the upgraded one that wasn't working).  This appears to have solved my problem.  I am now able to sync my Outlook Contacts, which was not working before.  I appreciate the suggestion given to get an older version.  Now I guess I must ignore it whenever it tells me to download a new version. 

Hello,

No worries about sequence...sticky threads like this often get out of sequence since they receive participation from many posters.

You are most welcome...you also could have used, from post 15 in this thread, the links there to older Desktop Software versions...the version that came with your CD may not be the latest that you can function correctly with (e.g., 6.1 from the link in post 15 may work for you), but from what you've been through, you indeed should avoid trying version 7 until newer releases come out AND you see, by virtue of posts, that things have been corrected that are not now working for you.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates