Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
sgrosskopf
My Device: 8310

Contact Management options

Anybody have thoughts on Contact management options?

I use Yahoo for my business and contacts but as far as I researched it dosen't sync up with BB except for Yahoo Messenger. I don't use MS outlook as I try to stay frugal in my biz.

Anybody have any freeware options or recommendations of best CM options?

The pay ones I see that sync well with BB are: ACT, Goldmine, Outlook, Mac

The free ones would be: Plaxo (which doesn't sync well with Yahoo as I see it), ?

Does anybody have a CM solution that is: freeware or cheep, web enabled, able to port easily to new devices (like my BB), can customize (like Yahoo Contacts)?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
JeremyKitching
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: Contact Management options

Based on the supported organizers Desktop Manager looks like it works with the Yahoo PIM:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/req_4dot3.jsp

Organizer Support
  • Lotus Notes® 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 8.0
  • MS Outlook® 2002, 2003, 2007
  • MS Outlook Express 6, Windows Contacts (Vista Address Book)
  • Novell® GroupWise® 6.5, 7.0
  • Yahoo!® PIM

Please use plain text.
Developer
Gareth
My Device: 8520, 9700

Install Yahoo!Go via m.yahoo.com through the device Browser

Yahoo!Go has the option to Sync Contacts with the Mailbox.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sgrosskopf
My Device: 8310

Thank you for the replies (BTW this is a good forum IMHO).  Unfortunately BB 'works' with Yahoo PIM but I have to log into Yahoo Go to get to my contacts which is only their email Addresses. Very limited.  Also, this is really a Yahoo issue and they have poor documentation regarding sync up.  They just say to install Yahoo GO on my BB. I did that - no contact management.

http://sites.mobile.yahoo.com/blackberry

I was hoping that I could find a solution to sync my BB contact info with some PC based program. Similar to what the Palm had where I can enter and alter info on my desktop and sync up with the BB. Any ideas? (Besides MS outlook - and remember I am a single PC in my Biz).  I am thinking I will have to commit to a Contact Management Software package (Outlook, Act, Goldmine, Etc).

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
JeremyKitching
My Device: Curve 8900

I think the best option would be to invest in supported organizer like Outlook as the Desktop Manager works best with that.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Gareth
My Device: 8520, 9700

If cost is a concern then surely Outlook Express will suffice for your needs, as the Syncing with the Desktop Manager licenses Intellisync for the Sync functionality, Outlook Express is supported with this.

I how I do it on my BIS device is keep a backup in Express and upload to my Personal Domain Addressbook hosted at the ISP, it works very much the same way as the Freemail services with supported export formats.

I do agree however with JeremyKitching...you will need to go the supported route when it comes to an organizer.... 

Please use plain text.