Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: 9630 Tour
Accepted Solution

Contact Sync Error: Some contacts unable to sync

Hi Everyone, 

I am not sure if someone out there found a solution to this problem. I have been able to successful sync my calendar and notes to my BB. When it comes to my contacts it gives me a error at the end of the contact sync process. When I compare my address book application to my bb contacts there are some contacts missing on my BB but still visible in Address book. Any suggestions or thoughts on this issue? 

New Contributor

Re: Contact Sync Error: Some contacts unable to sync

I found the solution to my problem! Apparently the desktop software by default looks for all contacts and groups but with no group within address book on my mac it would give me the dreaded sync error. I created a group and called it Phone moved all my phone contacts to it then connected my BB and Voila! No more sync errors. Hope this helps those out there that are experiencing the same issue. 
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

@felixtc, Thank you so much for taking the time to post this solution. I've spent hours tonight trying to figure out how to get my contacts to sync with my Tour. This was the ONLY solution that worked. Thank you!

I tried this and added my first group to Entourage, but the group doesn't show up on Blackberry Desktop Manager. Any advice on how to add a group so I can get my contacts??

Thanks!

i'm having trouble syncing my blackberry contacts to my contacts in entourage on my mac.  like, i have some contacts in my blackberry that are different than some contacts in my entourage and i need them to sync, so i have the same contacts in both my blackberry and in my entourage.  any suggestions are greatly appreciated?
Contributor

Word of advice to Mac/Blackberry users - lose Entourage.  I've been a big fan of the application for years and was torn the day I had to stop using it because of sync and logistical reasons... ...while I still think it's designed better than mail, iCal is a better calendaring application on for all the syncing headaches it caused me, the things it did better than mail, aren't worth it.  (Oh, and AddressBook is crap as well, and that is REALLY where Entourage was ideal.)
New Contributor

As for the issues everyone is having with Entourage and the desktop software. I have to agree Entourage has to go. Groups aren't recognized the same way and for those running a intel based mac and with 1gb of ram or more Snow leopard has Exchange support now if that's what keeping you from switching over to Mail, Address Book and iCal applications. 

I wish I had some experience with Entourage but I have learnt to stay away from it because it has only brought me pain in the past.  

My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Entourage --> Mac Address book to --> BB

I agree that we have to get rid of Entourage, but maintaining to seperate ICalendar and Address Book applications is not simple. I'm new to the Mac and need to learn more about it, but this was a great disappointment.  My sync was working in the morning and somehow the sync became faulty in the afternoon.   I have spent so much time on it, but I think I am set now 3rd attempt and 72 hours later.

This is what I had to do for contacts to work.  "Felixt"  Thank you.  You solved part of my problem.

In Entourage --> Preference--> Sync, Select Sync contacts with Address Book.  Note to new users where you see "Address book" is intended to mean the Mac's Address Book application not Entourage Address Book.  

Under the Applications folder on the Mac, Open ISync -->  Preference --> unselect and reselect "Enable Sync on this Computer".  

Address Book --> make sure that you have a "Group" in the Address book.  If needed, as Felixt suggested, if you have any contacts at the root level they would appear  "All Contacts" create a new Group and move those contacts down to the Group level.

In Blackberry Desktop Manager -->   Go to contacts and you should see the new Group that you created in the Address Book show up.  Try to sync.

I still got an error 1/2 way through the process and because  I had a previous backup of my contacts I took the risk in Blackberry Desktop Manager  I selected "Replace all contacts on my Blackberry" which wiped out my blackberry and then I  unselected it and did a normal 2-way sync.   Entourage --> Mac Address book to --> BB sync functioning properly.  I think it was failing it reached too many  contact resolution problems between Entourage, BB and Mac Address book.  

Cheers!

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700 used with MacBook Pro and Snow Leopard OS
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi everyone, new on here, signed up specifically to sort this problem.  I've been trying to fix it for days and its driving me insane!

I don't use Entourage, just the regular Mac programs.  I sync my BB 9700 with my MacBook Pro and like Felix, some of my contacts sync but some of them don't.

I read on a forum somewhere that it might be a problem with the fields on Address Book being different to the default fields on the BB address book.  With this in mind I deleted a new field that I added and think caused the original problem. Now I believe I don't have any extra conflicting fields, some of the contacts that don't sync have very little information on them (too little?) so its not an over information problem.

I really need a solution to this, I tried making a Phone group as suggested by Felix but it still doesn't work.

Any more ideas would be amazing!

Thanks

Blackberry and Mac, will it ever run smoothly?
New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Your solution worked once before, but it is no longer working because the sync error occurs at the very beginning of the sync.  Also, the last time I synced my contacts successfully, multiple duplicate entries for the same contact appeared and now everytime I attempt to access my contacts on the phone, the only entry that appears is the same multiple duplicates.

Also, when I try to search my contacts for other entries, none appear.  Meanwhile, when I backup the phone's data with BDM, it says the contacts are on the phone, but I'm unable to access them at all.

PLEASE HELP!!!!