Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Contacts software that works with BB?

This seems like a really basic question, so I hope this isn't a stupid question - but I couldn't find anything to help me.

Got a BB 8900 yesterday, and trying to sort out all my contacts on my PC so I can sync them to the BB. But - everything I've tried has problems:

Windows Contacts - generally fiddly to use, and (REALLY annoyingly) can only handle one email address when importing/exporting

Thunderbird - doesn't work with BB (am running Desktop Manager v4.7)

Outlook - expensive

Other free programs available - not sure I trust them, and they're free for a reason...

I'm willing to pay a small amount for a useful bit of software to maintain contacts - would use it to 1) sync with BB, 2) sync with Gmail and 3) just maintain a list of contacts on my PC. 

Any recommendations are very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Contacts software that works with BB?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

See this KB for compatibility between various desktop PIMs and the RIM desktop software:

• KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

Any recommendation for any specific PIM will be biased by that person's own experiences and preferences. You will need to select the PIM that meets all of your unique needs.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Cheers for posting that - had been looking for such a list. Certainly didn't realise how few programs were compapitable with BBs. Went for Windows Contacts in the end (which can handle multiple email addresses just fine, as it turns out).

Thanks again.

New Developer

Vista comes with Windows Calendar and Microsoft Works Calendar, but BB Desktop Manager does not seem to work with either.  It is possible to synch with ascii files then use a spreadsheet, but that is laborious. I am used to the Palm PIM, which works well and automatically does a two-way synch.

Outlook Express seems to be no longer an option.  Windows Mail works for an address book, but the  BB Desktop Manager  imported all my contacts as (1).contact, (2).contact ...

It looks as if I will have to spend some money. What do you recommend for an economical PIM?

Thanks,

Rick

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

rleir wrote:

Vista comes with Windows Calendar and Microsoft Works Calendar, but BB Desktop Manager does not seem to work with either.  It is possible to synch with ascii files then use a spreadsheet, but that is laborious. I am used to the Palm PIM, which works well and automatically does a two-way synch.

Outlook Express seems to be no longer an option.  Windows Mail works for an address book, but the  BB Desktop Manager  imported all my contacts as (1).contact, (2).contact ...

It looks as if I will have to spend some money. What do you recommend for an economical PIM?

Thanks,

Rick

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

I recommend nothing. Everyone has different needs and preferences...I leave it to each individual to make their own choice based on their unique circumstances.The information provided allows each person to do their own evaluation and make their own choice.

I am curious, however, about your statement regarding Outlook Express no longer being an option...it remains listed in the compatibility matrix for integration with RIM DTM...

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Developer

Thanks for the help!

Outlook Express is not on my Vista PC and I cannot see a way to get it. Microsoft Mail is supposed to be the successor to Outlook Express, but BB Desktop Manager does not seem to work with it.

I am mostly looking for a desktop calendar that syncs with the BB.  Microsoft Calendar is on the Vista PC, but BB Desktop Manager does not seem to work with it.

I asked 'what do you recommend' in the hope of finding options that cost less than Lotus.

Thanks,

Rick

Contributor

Check out Pocket Informant. It's the best one I found for my Storm and I looked at over a dozen of them. Having said that, as the OP stated it's a very personal decision.

- R.