Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telecom

I have done a contact merge and have now completed mixed up contacts. System has merge different contact names to one so I can see which is correct without checking through contact view. How can I maintenance my contacts via the desktop BB manager to correct? Thanks much,

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Contacts

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

A few things to discuss...so bear with me...

1) Contrary to how others do things, RIM does not provide a desktop PIM. Others force you to use their PIM and only their PIM. RIM provides a conduit software that functions as a bridge between your chosen PIM and the BB. See this KB for compatible PIM's:

• KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

2) RIM further provides the ability to import/export (prior to Desktop Software 7.0!!!) with ASCII and CSV files. See this KB:

• KB04312 Create and synchronize with an ASCII export file
  • KB11194 How to import contacts from a CSV file to the BlackBerry device

So, your best choice is, IMO, to use a desktop PIM to manage your data...then choose a compatible PIM (from above). Then, get your data synchronized with the PIM, clean up your data in the PIM, and then resynchronize with the BB...you may want to, after getting your data into the PIM, have the Desktop Software "forget" the BB, clear the Contact data from the BB, and then do a fresh sync from the PIM to the BB. Alternatively, you could export to CSV, edit the data in Excel, and then reimport it (after clearing the contact data from the BB, of course).

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.