Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
Brens4
My Device: Not Specified

Re: DM 4.6 Sync problem due to no internet connection

Hi Xandrex,

I appreciate the post. I was able to set him up to us his Blackberry as a modem.

Thanks

Rod

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Finman

OK after a very frustrating week and delayed yet my business and time wasted on trying to sort out something that is supposed to save me time I have installing and installing 4.3 - 4.5 - 4.6  with no luck.

I have following the correct method of removal including removing any registry left over. Rebooted and still unable to sync.

I have thou found that the COMM port was being used by another program (HP printer software) which I installed. Funny thing was it was working originally when I had 4.5 installed and only came up with all this crap since I tried to upgrade (was hoping 4.6 was going to be faster) anyways I tried again going through the unistalled method only to find 4.5 no longer works.grrrrrrrrr. 

I have now gone back to 4.2 sp2 and it works. Its faster regarding the sync as I didn't realized how slow BDM has become.

So if your getting the "cannot connect" as far as I can see it wasn't my firewall or antivirus is was another program using the same COMM port.

Seems to me that the Desktop software is getting slower with every new version. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sv_ted

I may have to bite the bullet and go back to 4.2 as well. My virtual serial ports for my Blackberry are 9 and 10. They are not used for anything else. Also, when I click on "Check for updates" a browser window does open correctly. So, DM knows that I have a connection.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stevetag
My Device: 8900 Curve

[ Edited ]

I had this same issue recently when I moved from a Blackberry Pearl to a Curve 8900 and upgraded to Desktop Manager 4.7 (without Media files) on a laptop with Vista.  Everytime I tried to sync I got the "The computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings. Please ensure that you are able to connect to the Internet and try again."

Mind you, my Pearl had no issues, it was when I installed Desktop 4.7 with the new Curve that I had the problem. Uninstalling and going back to 4.6 did not work and, going back to my Pearl didn't work as it would no longer sync until I made the following registry edit.

It's a simple fix, just changing a 1 to a zero in a registry setting that tells the Desktop Manager that you are connected to the internet.  However it did take me 3 techs at second level RIM support to come up with the answer and she knew it immediately.

No port confilicts or printer deletes, just a registry change.

Here it is:

1) In vista click on the start globe and in the search box type regedit and hit enter then go to the following registry key:

2) HKey_Current_User/Software/Research in Motion/Blackberry

3) Click on the Synchronize folder and you should see a subfolder labled 0x24b0e298

4) click that key and on the right side of the page you will see several entries, right click the item labeled "STATE" and hit modify (it is probably set to "1")

5) Change it to "0" (Zero) without the quotes

6) Reboot

You should now be able to sync

Message Edited by stevetag on 03-16-2009 05:01 PM
Message Edited by stevetag on 03-16-2009 05:02 PM
Please use plain text.