Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: DM 4.6 Sync problem due to no internet connection

[ Edited ]

Have you got it setup for BES or BIS?

and before when you clicked on updates, it opened up a Blackberry webpage?

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-02-2008 05:23 AM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Finman
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Well I had 4.5 last week and just used the BB for Calender and Contacts. This week I had the BIS connected to my buisness phone plan and now can recieve emails I'm usuing my own domain email address with my IP and it works can send and recieve emails. I doont have a server to do BES

Seeing I couldnt synce the emails, I thought that upgrading too 4.6 might help and also be faster as 4.5 is slower then 4.3

I want to be able tro sync the email folders so once I delete the email out outlook it would remeove them off the BB.

But now I have email but cant sync with the PC. The BB was syncing with 4.5 but not email, hop ehtis makes sense?

And yes to confirm that when I press update at the bottom of DM it takes me to the Blackberry web page

Message Edited by Finman on 10-02-2008 05:35 AM
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

No , I didn't know that, you never mentioned it in the post, that is was working with 4.5.

You're not going to sync the emails through the desktop Manager. You only sync your outlook contacts calendar task and memo's

DM 4.6 isn't any faster than 4.5, either.

I hate to leave you hanging but it's 4:30am here, and I've got to get to work. We can pick it up tomorrow, or another user may help.

What do you think?

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

If you are not BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) you cannot sync email.

You can make the desktop software a desktop redirector, but you need to be connected to a Microsoft exchange server.

Basically, you aren't going to be able to sync the emails.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Finman

Thanks Mate,

Ill try goinf back to 4.3 first as it was faster than the later models....

Shame DM is getting worst not better.

again thanks anyways

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

[ Edited ]

I'll check in on the post soon as I can

Good luck!

This is what desktop redirector is:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB15049&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-02-2008 05:56 AM

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Finman

Well I have gone back to 4.3 and have the same problem... Thinks I'm in real trouble now.

Thanks I read up on the redirector and yes it wont work with POP.

So here I am I now get emails but cant sync contacts or calender. .....

I have no idea why is worked before and not now after I unistalled 4.5 

I have looked under Divice manager and  it does say I have two RIM virtuial Series Ports COMM 4 and COMM 5 and also somewhere eles I noticed that one of those ports was being used by something else. So I have unistalled both and rebooted. So I have now set one of them to another Port ie COMM 6 and will reboot, but have to go so I'll have another look in the morning 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sv_ted

Have you had any luck solving this problem? I am in the same boat. DM4.6 does connect to my Pearl2 and it knows I have an internet connection because it opens a browser window when I click on "Check for updates". I can see the music files on my BB from my PC. But I still cannot sync. A lot of people seem to have this problem but I cannot find a solution.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Brens4

Hi Bifocals,

I don't have a blackberry, but I am trying to help my father in law set his up to do what he wants. I got it so that it will sync with the calendar and the address book in Outlook. But as you mentioned, I can't get it to sync the emails.  I'm not very knowledgeable on this stuff. I'm not sure how the BES or the redirector works, but I am guessing that it would usually only be a business that would be setup for either of those.

What he wants to do is  write his emails on his laptop and then sync to the blackberry and then send the emails from the blackberry. He does not want to be connected to the internet with his laptop. He only has dial up. 

So just to clarify my thoughts, if I understand you right, since he doesn't want to have his computer hooked up the internet and that he can not sync his email, then he will not beable to do what he wants.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

hello,

there are two different things :

1) whenever you want to use the Desktop Manager, you will have to be connected to the internet. It won't cost much because it does not require to download much, maybe a few cents every time.

2) what you want is called tethering : you want the Blackberry to act as a modem and allow the computer to go on the net. There are many discussions about that, I think you'll find all you need here :
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/search?submitted=true&type=message&sort_by=score&advanced=tr...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.