Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
dgbrwn
My Device: Tour 9630

Re: Desktop 6 and Missing Add-in function

I see Verizons website still has 5.0 as the desktop to download, not 6.0. Unless I see something quick, I plan on removing 6.0 and going back to 5.0.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KeithERice
My Device: 8900 Curve

HI, Folks

I use Sage ACT! 2010, rather than Outlook (which I despise!) and CompanionLink Express as an add-in to Desktop Manager 5.0 to sync between my 8900 Curve and ACT!

6 months of being overjoyed with my Blackberrry brought to an end by falling for the free upgrade offer to Desktop Manager 6.0 and finding I couldn't sync.

They don't tell you that 6.0 doesn't accept add-ins - so why wouldn't those of us who use other PIMs than Outlook not install it?

CompanionLink are clearly not happy about what RIM are upto - they explain that Manager 6.0 is incompatible with their products and recommend use of Manager 5.01 - with a link to download it. See: http://www.companionlink.com/support/setupguides_CL_BB.html

Interestingly I can't find any obvious link on the Blackberry site to download Manager 5.0 - only the awful 6.0. It seems the download pages for earlier versions are hidden away!

So uninstalled 6.0 and downloaded 5.0. Still couldn't sync. Finally worked out that it was the Blackberry Update software - downloaded with 6.0 but left on after uninstallation - that was causing the problem. Got rid of that and 5.0 will now work with CompanionLink fine.

In total over 6 hours work and a load of needless stress!

It's hard to believe that a company of RIM's calibre could get it so wrong! Or maybe they're developing some of that Microsoft contempt for their customers...?

I've been becoming more and more dependent on my Blackberry for business purposes. I've loved it so much I thought I would be a Blackberrier for life...but this has really made me think again.

Keith

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ralinavi
My Device: Bold 9700

I have now gone back to Desktop Software v5.0.1 and everything works fine again!!!! Stay clear of v6!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ralinavi
My Device: Bold 9700

On other posts re v6 problems it would appear that the new software works fine if you have uninstalled v5 first ie not just downloaded it and installed it over v5. I wonder if this would solve the lack of add ins we are suffering from on this post? If I get time I will try a complete uninstall of v5 and then a clean install of v6 and see if the add ins appear. I bet they don't though - has anybody else tried this?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
srodbell
My Device: Bold 9000

Good News! Hopefully, that is.  I spoke to several advanced level techs at Rim.  Most were unaware of the add-in functionality and whether it was dropped or not from V6.0.  Thanks to the forum, I pointed to this thread showing the add-in clearly displayed in the jpeg from a contributor. 

The tech speculated that if the add-in was compatible the feature would be displayed in Desktop Manager 6.0.  He offered to test the theory and downloaded KeePass. Sure enough the add-in module appeared on his Desktop 6.0 menu.

This leads me to believe that Ascendo has some tweaking to do to make Datavault compatible with 6.0.  In the meantime I will stay will 5.0.xxx until it is compatible.  It is the only reason I need the desktop manager... 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pintrok
My Device: Tour

I am having the same problem and it's driving me crazy!  How do you delete the blackberry updater software?  Thanks in advance for your help!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pintrok
My Device: Tour

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I too spent hours trying to go back to version 5.01 and successfully sync.  You are correct - to go back to 5.01 and sync you must go to Add/Remove and uninstall Blackberry Software Update too.  Really appreciate this post.  Finally, I'm back - and I'm really pi$$ed at Rimm for putting out an update like this and missing this obvious functionality!

Please use plain text.
techtron79

I have the same problem with DataVault and Desktop Manager 6.0.  I accepted the automatic update of the Desktop Manager, but there was no DataVault synchronize capability after the upgrade.  I did all of the following with no success:

1) Uninstalled and reinstalled DataVault on the PC.

2) Uninstalled and did a clean reinstall of Desktop Manager 6.0.

3) Uninstalled and reinstalled DataVault on the Blackberry.  (Note - When I attempted to reinstall DataVault on the Blackberry using Desktop Manager 6.0, I got an error when I attempted to open the DataVault.alx file on my PC.  I had to reinstall DataVault on the Blackberry by navigating to the download link using the Blackberry browser.)

This was a real pain with all the backups and reboot times.  Finally reinstalled Desktop Manager 5.0.1 and everything is back OK.

Interestingly, the add-in for CryptMagic did appear in the Add-In list for Desktop Manager 6.0.  I used to use CryptMagic, and its files are still on my PC, although I have not used it with my current Blackberry.  There definitely appears to be some specific incompatibility between DataVault and Desktop Manager 6.0.  I am a dedicated Blackberry user, but this was all VERY frustrating.  I will be very hesitant to do any automatic upgrades in the future.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dgbrwn

I just finished removing 6 and going back to 5. I dont plan on upgrading again until I hear from Ascendo Datavault and RIM that the desktop is compatible with Datavault. Somehow Ascendo Datavault users need to be able to find that out.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
srodbell
My Device: Bold 9000

Ha! I used to use CryptMagic as well.  I prefer not to switch my password program again, so I will stay with Dartavault and 5.01 for the time being. 

By the way, has anybody tried to manipulate photos with 6.0?  I find 5.01 much more flexible.  I don't see an easy way to move individual pictures to or from the Blackberry from within  Desktop Manager 6.0.

I don't see any advantage so far to the upgrade.

Please use plain text.