Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

Desktop Manager 4.7 Freezng up

When I open the Desktop Manager and connect my device, it just stays at the "Checking for device application updates. Please wait..." (I've left it here for at least 10 minutes one time and nothing happens) and when I click cancel the program freezes. Sometimes after the initial connection, when the blackberry has the black screen with the computer to phone icons, it quickly goes back to the home screen.

I have restarted the DM - no luck
I have restarted the PC - no luck
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the DM - it works the first time but when I restart/reboot the PC. the same thing starts to happen again.

I have even tried to deactivate the Auto Update check thru the Control Panel LINK

Curve 8900
Firm - v4.6.1.114
DM v4.7

I installed from the CD that came with the phone.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: Desktop Manager 4.7 Freezng up

I have tried everything.

I have uninstalled 4.7 and installed 4.6 - No good
I have installed 4.7 and 4.6 without the Media Manager - No good
I have turned of Auto-Application Updates when I have reinstalled on both 4.6 & 4.7- No good.
I have turned off the Internet & Firewall - No good.
I have done a Hard Reset - No Good

Now, this is what exactly happens. After loading 4.7 or 4.6, with or without the Media Manager, it works fine. I can reboot and it still works. The one thing that happens every time is that the problem starts to happen about 45 minutes after the DM is installed. I will install the DM and run it once and then try 45 minutes later - No Good.
I will install the DM and plug it in and backup the device on and off for 45 minutes without a problem. Then at about 45 minutes, it starts to happen again.

Running XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP 3
Curve 8900
Firm - v4.6.1.114

New development.  The device is now doing a hard reset a few times a day.  It has been doing it since I got it last week but it seems to be doing it more often now.

It is also frequently doing a hard reset when I watch a video on m.youtube.com.  It will play the video for about 30 seconds and then the hard reset happens.  It does not happen on all videos but about 1/3 of them.

I talked to a friend that works in the software department of RIM and all he could suggest was that I manually delete any folder/files on the PC.  He suggested that a file might have gotten corrupted.  I will try that when I get home tonight.

Any ideas anyone? This is really getting frustrating.