Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

My Device: storm 9550
My Carrier: verizon

Re: Desktop Manager 6.0 Crashes -- using .NET 2 instead of 3.5

similar problem, clr20r3 error

xp sp3 on a bb storm 2

any followups here?

My Device: Not Specified

I may have the solution and would appreciate some feedback if this is the case.

ISSUE:

When attempting to run Blackberry Desktop Software (BDS) only the splash screen is seen for a few seconds and then closes, the BDS application never starts up completely. Logs indicate a fatal error, and events: clr20r3, P1 rim.desktop.exe

BACKGROUND

I am installing as IT Admin on an enterprise network so users of the BDS do not have a lot of security rights. The specific problem seems to be that the user does not have rights to the C drive and so cannot create files there. This issue was highlighted in the BDS logs indicating that access to a folder called C:\Music and C:\Pictures had been denied although this folder did not even exist.

FIX

Simply create two folders in the root of the local C drive (Music and Pictures) and then assign full control rights for the user on these folders or whoever needs to synch their blackberry on the computer. The application should now open without getting stuck on the splash screen.

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Sprint

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much for the helpful suggestion, celliott12.  Unfortunately, my problem is happening on my home laptop, and I already have full access to the folders.

My issue seems to be that the Desktop Manager and Auto Updater software are both using .NET 2.0. Instead of .NET 3.5.  I don't know why this is or how I could change it.  I guess I just have to wait until a new build of the software is released and try again.

I was dealing with this problem all day today on a client's computer and found the solution. The cause is from a corrupted user profile and the profile must be rebuilt. This is a semi advanced topic so if you are not comfortable or familiar with this please have a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP or better) handle it.

To solve this problem you need to rebuild your profile. To rebuild a profile is fairly simple. All you have to do is create a new user on your computer. After you create the new user you restart your computer log into the new user account. Navigate to either:

Windows XP and below:

My Computer >> C: >> Documents and Settings

Windows Vista or newer:

Start >> Computer >> C: >> Users

add _old to the end of the account folder by right clicking on the folder and clicking on rename.

Log off the new account.

Log onto the old account and the program should work.

All your documents are still inside of the

c:\Documents and Settings\folder_old\

or

c:\users\folder_old

I will be posting a video on how to do this on www.cpupoints.com in the near future.

Sincerely,

Thomas Applegate

www.applegatetechnologies.com

Contributor

Thank you very much for trying to help me, applegatetechnologies. Unfortunately, I still encountered the same issues with installing, running, and updating the new version of the software after following your advice. My issue still seems to be that the Desktop Manager and Auto Updater software are both using .NET 2.0. Instead of .NET 3.5. I don't know why this is or how I could change it. I guess I just have to wait until a new build of the software is released and try again.
Contributor

Well, I tried the new v 6.0.1. Unfortunately, that gave me the same errors plus one new one… something about the "transcoder" also encountering an error.
Contributor

I just tried installing .NET 4, but still no dice.
Contributor

Hello, Is there any other information, files, etc. I could provide to help in researching this issue? Thanks.

PROBLEM SOLVED Smiley Happy

I found that version 6.0.1.x was crashing on NET Framework 2.0 (in the event viewer) for Windows XP. However, version 6.0.0.x works fine. So, down grade an DON'T update !

Seems like the update was designed for Vista/Windows 7 in mind.

Hope this help you.

Contributor

Thank you very much, echo7. I really appreciate the information. Unfortunately, I was encountering the issue with version 6.0.0.x originally and saw it in the event viewer back then.