Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

mitchstein
My Device: 8330 curve

Re: Desktop Manager 6.0 Crashing

Where is a version that works we can download? I'm a corporate user our 45+ curves need to be backed up daily. I overwrote the installation of version 5.x with this update on all the workstations over the weekend (stupid i know but i trusted rim to not mimic microsofts errors in software release again very stupid).

FYI it is not hardware related unless it is incompatible with amd processors, intel processors, on desktops, laptops and netbooks as well as VMWARWE installed xp windows 7 and vista both 64 and 32 bit of all three OS's) virtual machines. also on server 2003 dual xenon processors running terminal server.

we checked all 59 computers it was installed on and i did the virtual machine installs this morning trying anything to get my salesforce teams blackberries to backup. Now i'm digging through tape archives to get the 5.x version back that work on all these computers.

Contributor
UNBELIEVABLE
My Device: 8900 Curve

Yes, it is terrible.

Version 6 is a bad poor beta release.

RIM should pull version 6 off their website and restore version 5.01.

BTW - if you go to this link    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22  

you should be able to download earlier versions.  But the earlier version does not support Outlook 2010.

Alternatively, navigate to "Blackberry  Desktop Software" page (left menu)

then DO NOT click on the download button,  instead, go the section of the screen for PC users and click on blue link that says "Get details on Blackberry Desktop Software for PC users".... and on the next page go right to the bottom of the page  on the blue link that says "Download earlier versions"

Finally, and this in response to Blackberry 's recent message to this thread... ... .

I do not believe the crash is linked to just the Video folder or the Out of Memory issue.  it must be something gross!....

Neither the video folder issue nor the out of memory issue apply in my case

After I read about these, I deleted every single file in the Video folder entirely,

And my memory usage looks fine.

And eveyrthing else runs just fine on my brand new laptop.

Too many people are experiencing this problem, I suggest RIM should work with Microsoft directly to establish why their program will not launch after install.  must be something about that exe file!

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mechanicus
My Device: Not Specified

Hi mitchstein:

Can you offer a list of other software that might be running on all of those machines?  If it happens across that much different hardware, it could be a software conflict.   Do all of the machines run the same set of software?

Cheers

M

Need additional information on BlackBerry products?

visit: http://www.blackberry.net

blackberry.net

DitoPower
My Device: 9700

Dear Mechanicus,

You mention that a registy key was posted that should fix the My Videos problem.

Could you please assist with this, p l e a s e.

Regards,

D

New Contributor
davidmains
My Device: bold 9000

I installed on Windows 77 64 bit.  Crashes until I moved the videos (there were only 3) to a different folder

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    Rim.Desktop.exe
  Application Version:    6.0.0.40
  Application Timestamp:    4c58acef
  Fault Module Name:    StackHash_2264
  Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    00000000
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    0fe0b5ed
  OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
  Locale ID:    4105
  Additional Information 1:    2264
  Additional Information 2:    2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
  Additional Information 3:    875f
  Additional Information 4:    875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e

Contributor
UNBELIEVABLE

Lucky you!

I did the same deleted videos (not many in there) and even tried deleting the entire video folder.

no luck!  Icon still does not launch.

Am I the only one with this problem ?   Have anyone else managed to launch based on moving the video folder.... don't think so!   Has anyone else found a "Fatal" error in any of the logs ? I could not.

if not please help! .... and let this forum know problem is not fixed!

New Contributor
vodacom-bb9520-user102
My Device: 9520 Storm 2

Same here - Viliv Netbook 1Gb RAM Windows 7 Starter Edition. Not the Video problem; not a memory problem. No 'fatal' in any logs.

HOWEVER... you can download the original Blackberry Desktop Manager v5.0.1 (SP1) here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

(choose from drop down menu, then click 'Download' button).

Not a fix, and you can't sync with MS Office 2010, but at least you can back-up & do updates & connect with the mobile internet   :smileyhappy:

Hope that helps a few peeps - until RIM GETS ITS BLASTED ACT TOGETHER.

New Contributor
gastroguy
My Device: bold 9700

In a similar situation as everyone else. Very happy with desktop 5.0 but 6.0 crashes all the time and now after installing it, I am unable  to install 5.0! I have done al the things on the kb list and even tampered with the registry to no avail.

Is this some sort of plot to get us to buy iPhones? Can anyone tell me what is the point of these forums if noone from RIM reads them and realizes the mess they have caused. I will be sending back my BB soon if a patch isn't sent out and instructing our IT people not go anywhere near BB.

RIM listen to your customers... what little you have left after this debacle. Get a patch or something out now!

Contributor
UNBELIEVABLE

Thank you for the show of support. Happy to know I am not alone. I. Have already downloaded 5.01 but it does not support. Outlook 2010 and so there is nothing for me to do! I have had to export the .pst file, onto a USB , load it manually on my old PC, reimport it to my old Outlook, and then synchronise Bberry. With my old laptop ! All very mobile!....
Contributor
howard-moore
My Device: 9105 and Playbook 64GB

Dear RIM,

I am running a Nokia Netbook Windows 7 Starter (32 bit) with a 1.60GHz Intel Atom processor and 1.0GB of RAM.

I have installed BDS 6.0 as I am off on holiday in two days and use this Netbook as a travel PC when I am away. It runs Office Professioanl 2007 as well as a suite of other pretty sizeable programs, and whilst not as fast as my desktop, does them all perfectly well. Blackberry Desktop Software is essential for me as I tether my Blackberry using Bluetooth whilst I am away to connect the Netbook to the Internet. v5.01 worked perfectly.

As with so many others posting here, BDS 6.0 completely fails to start when installed (experienced an error and must close etc...). I have tried clean reinstalls twice and have had no joy. I have looked in regedit for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerryTranscoder\SkipSupportCheck

but this does not exist. I have moved the My Video and My Picture folders and this does not work either.

I have now spent more than three hours on this issue, and have even been prepared to mess around with things like regedit, which the overwhelming majority of users will never try to do. My hourly rate, that I have now lost because I have been trying to get the software that you supply to me when buying your phones, is £175 + VAT per hour. Please advise who I can send the invoice to........

Whilst obviously I say the above to make a point, the situation is totally unacceptable. Not only do you release a very substandard product which has not been tested fully (and I do not accept your statement that you cannot test all hardware - most CPU spike issues such as mine will have been replicated on larger CPU machines - you just failed to pick this up, though many users will have smaller netbook-type machines), but you also do not give us the option to roll-back to the working version.

I have just moved to a new Blackberry Pearl 3G, and have previously had a Bold 9700, a Storm 1, a Pearl 8120 and a Pearl 8100. All but two of these I have bought myself outside of contract. I am therefore a very good, but very, very annoyed customer of RIM. I also happen to be the person in charge of IT and telecoms purchasing for my firm, and have previously always gone for Blackberry.

Sort it out, or I won't be in future.

Regards,

Neil