Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
estherj
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Desktop Manager crashes during outlook calendar sync

Only today has this started happening - BB8320 syncs fine up to the point of the calendar sync (outlook 2003)  I get this error message

AppName: desktopmgr.exe AppVer: 4.2.2.14 ModName: ilxolk.fil

ModVer: 5.5.1.246 Offset: 00060c03

have tried re-boot (laptop and phone), have changed sync settings, but always crashes at same point - record 23 of 35 records.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Desktop Manager crashes during outlook calendar sync

can you on your outlook remove the item ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
estherj

I know it's a stupid question but how do I know which is item 23?  It doesn't give me the option to review the changes like you get with a contact

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

well, if the sync went well, you must have in your blackberry 22 items. Maybe they are stored in chronological order ?
Anyways, 22 out of 35, meaning there are at most 7 events that can cause problem. juste wipe everything and recreate them afterwards !

For the reason of the bug... maybe here is something in the event ? an attachment, a special category...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
estherj

thanks, it seems to have worked - removing a recurring meeting did the trick....perhaps should do that in real life too.  thanks for the help.
copolii

[ Edited ]

This seems to be a very common problem that seems to affect many people and I don't understand why RIM would not release a fixed version of the Desktop Software?

There are at least 3 work-arounds (NOT solutions) that I've tried:

1. delete the offending event in outlook (some say events with attachments cause a problem)
  2. delete the Intellisync cache
  3. watch the last item displayed in the pop up (i.e processing device Calendar/tasks/etc.)
    • start the sync again and cancel at the first chance you get (be careful it might crash here too)
    • Click on Backup and Restore
    • choose advanced
    • find and select the offending item in the list
    • click on clear
    • viola ... you're done

These all have worked for me, but dealing with it is extremely annoying due to the frequency of the crashes and the fact that everytime this crash occurs my berry is stuck in sync mode.

Sorry if I'm not helping, but the fact that RIM has not fixed such a common issue is extremely dissapointing. I use my blackberry for personal purposes, but the majority of BB users are business users who don't have the time to deal with this.

RIM needs to pull it together on this one ... really! 

Message Edited by copolii on 10-16-2008 04:31 AM
salrman

I totally agree.  I'm having to go through the diabolical restore process at least once a week because of the various calendar entries I wind up with.  Yes, I should have fewer meetings.  But RIM should be able to accept any record that is in Outlook.  This problem in and of itself may cause me to return the Storm I got and go for an iPhone.

RIM please get this fixed soon.

New Contributor
heavypen

Just went through this problem and was lead to a quicker (and I believe) better solution via RIM support.

Go to this folder: 

C:\Documents and Settings\*yourprofilename*\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry

DELETE folder "Intellisync"

Open DESKTOP MANAGER

Click SYNCHRONIZE

Click CONFIGURATION tab

Click "Configure Synch..."

Make your selections (applications to synch)

Click SYNCHRONIZE NOW button

Vola - you're synched!

Above assumes that your CRACKberry is connected.

Also, you may want to clear the cache before this procedure - that's what I did, at any rate.

Good luck!

castolfo

I've had this problem since my first blackberry 8700..

its ALWAYS because of a calendar/task item that contains some type of HTML - email addresses, web addresses, hyperlinks (anything at all)..

and also without exception - any attachment.

I dont know if anyone from rim reads this but you'd think that the big brains could develop a patch for this most basic of usability issues.

i've actually released a tech bulletin where i work about this very issue -

it blows me away that given the competition out there with other similar devices, such a basic funcationality patch can be repeatedly overlooked..

lol

CA

New Contributor
heavypen

UPDATE: Desktop Manager crashes during outlook calendar sync

Since my last post, I've had to reset Intellisync (using the method I outlined earlier) three times! RIM - please get it together guys. Obviously the BB device manager needs a patch as suggested earlier. This fix is good, but it's a pain in the butt having to go back and reconfigure my sync every time it happens.