Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
zirkaiva
My Device: bold 9780

Desktop Manager crashes on start up

My desktop manager started crashing recently. I have re-installed various different versions and re-installed all net frameworks, but it still crashes. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Desktop Manager crashes on start up

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

It would be greatly helpful if you would provide more symptoms of what happens..."it crashes" doesn't really give us much to guess from.

To cleanly start over, I suggest this thread:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
zirkaiva

To elaborate: it crashes when I double click on BBDM, and it tries to load the software unsuccesfully so I only see the logo screen before the crash. First I tried upgrading to the latest version, after which I tried clean Uninstall even with registry uninstalls/installs of several older versions which were pointed from the users as a solution to a similar problem. My phone is not even connected to the computer. There is some other application which is fighting with this software, but I don't know which one. i have followed your guide, but no succes. Thanks for the reply

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

zirkaiva wrote:

To elaborate: it crashes when I double click on BBDM, and it tries to load the software unsuccesfully so I only see the logo screen before the crash. 

"Crashing" would normally exhibit some very specific behaviors...error messages and such would be displayed on your screen. What do those say, please?

Or, perhaps what you mean is that it launches, the logo screen shows, and then just closes with no warnings? That would be something different from true "crashing".

Have you looked in your Windows Error Log to see if perhaps it provides you with anything helpful?

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
zirkaiva

Generic\clr20r3\rim.desktop.exe\6.1.0.36\4eb85358\microsoft.practices.composite\2.0.1.0\4eb851a2\12b\50\sclhiaanmqhkf4zdfpvvwejkphnm1zuj

Contributor
zirkaiva

EventType : clr20r3     P1 : rim.desktop.exe     P2 : 6.1.0.36     P3 : 4eb85358
P4 : microsoft.practices.composite     P5 : 2.0.1.0     P6 : 4eb851a2     
P7 : 12b     P8 : 50     P9 : sclhiaanmqhkf4zdfpvvwejkphnm1zuj    

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

Ummm...well, you've given us some messages, but no hint as to where they came from. Did they come from a popup? From the Windows Error Log? Somewhere else? Context is always helpful since we can't see what you see.

In any event, I can only guess (and likely no better than you), but that would somehow indicate an MS problem rather than a RIM problem. Did you attempt, as was mentioned in the clean start over process, the "repair" install of your Outlook (or other organizer)?

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
zirkaiva

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633 X86
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\temp\BE8456.dmp]
User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*C:\windows\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;C:\windows\symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows XP Version 2600 (Service Pack 3) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS
Machine Name:
Debug session time: Thu Jun 28 14:55:52.000 2012 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: not available
Process Uptime: 0 days 0:00:26.000
This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
(d20.15e8): CLR exception - code e0434f4d (first/second chance not available)
eax=0c6a0000 ebx=7c80a0b7 ecx=00001000 edx=7c90e514 esi=00000c58 edi=00000000
eip=7c90e514 esp=0012d19c ebp=0012d200 iopl=0         nv up ei ng nz ac pe cy
cs=001b  ss=0023  ds=0023  es=0023  fs=003b  gs=0000             efl=00000297
ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet:

Contributor
zirkaiva

I managed to mark the dump file in the temp folder read only to save it for analysis

Contributor
zirkaiva

This was all from the Windows Error Log