Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Desktop Manager crashes on start up

And, what about what I said in post 7 above?

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: T-mobile

I just did office repair, but  still no go

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Well, you've still not given us all the details that have been requested...for instance, a better description than mere "crashing"...that word can mean different things to different people, so a complete description of the symptoms would help us to hopefully help you better. (see my post 4 above)

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Ok FYI I have found the issue. I have finally found the BB error location file: in

%APPDATA%\Rim.Desktop.Exception.log

Date|Log Level|Thread ID|Module ID|Log ID|Message [2012-07-02 14:03:13.406]
Date|Log Level|Thread ID|Module ID|Log ID|Message [2012-07-02 14:10:17.218]
14:10:30.125|FATAL|1|Exception|0|Fatal Error
Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Modularity.ModuleInitializeException: An exception occurred while initializing module 'MediaSyncApplication'.
    - The exception message was: Absolute path information is required.
    - The Assembly that the module was trying to be loaded from was:Rim.Desktop.Media, Version=7.0.0.56, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    Check the InnerException property of the exception for more information. If the exception occurred while creating an object in a DI container, you can exception.GetRootException() to help locate the root cause of the problem.
   ---> System.ArgumentException: Absolute path information is required.
   at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CreateListFromExpressions(String[] str, Boolean needFullPath)
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String path)
   at System.Environment.GetFolderPath(SpecialFolder folder)
   at Rim.Common.Filesystem.FolderPathExtensions.FromSpecialFolder(SpecialFolder specialFolder)
   at Rim.Common.Filesystem.FolderPathExtensions.Combine(SpecialFolder specialFolder, String[] relativePathsToSubfolder)
   at Rim.Common.Filesystem.FolderPathExtensions.ToFolderPathWithFallback(SpecialFolder specialFolder, String fallbackName)
   at Rim.Common.Filesystem.SpecialFolders.get_MyPictures()
   at Rim.Desktop.Media.ViewModel.FileSystem.ComputerFsdsViewModel`1..ctor(ApplicationContentViewModel appViewModel, IFsdsStrings languageResources, MediaSource mediaSource)
   at Rim.Desktop.Media.ViewModel.Pictures.ComputerPicturesViewModel..ctor(ApplicationContentViewModel appViewModel)
   at Rim.Desktop.Media.ViewModel.Pictures.PictureViewModel..ctor()
   at Rim.Desktop.Media.MediaSyncApplication.InitializeApplication()
   at Rim.Desktop.Common.ApplicationBase.Initialize()
   at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Modularity.ModuleInitializer.Initialize(ModuleInfo moduleInfo)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Modularity.ModuleInitializer.HandleModuleInitializationError(ModuleInfo moduleInfo, String assemblyName, Exception exception)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Modularity.ModuleInitializer.Initialize(ModuleInfo moduleInfo)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Modularity.ModuleManager.LoadModulesThatAreReadyForLoad()
   at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Modularity.ModuleManager.LoadModuleTypes(IEnumerable`1 moduleInfos)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Modularity.ModuleManager.LoadModulesWhenAvailable()
   at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Modularity.ModuleManager.Run()
   at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.UnityExtensions.UnityBootstrapper.InitializeModules()
   at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.UnityExtensions.UnityBootstrapper.Run(Boolean runWithDefaultConfiguration)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.UnityExtensions.UnityBootstrapper.Run()
   at Rim.Desktop.Shell.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__0(Object unused)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(DispatcherPriority priority, Delegate method, Object arg)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run()
   at Rim.Desktop.Shell.App.Main()
14:10:30.140|FATAL|1|Exception|0|Fatal Error - Inner Exception
System.ArgumentException: Absolute path information is required.
   at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CreateListFromExpressions(String[] str, Boolean needFullPath)
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String path)
   at System.Environment.GetFolderPath(SpecialFolder folder)
   at Rim.Common.Filesystem.FolderPathExtensions.FromSpecialFolder(SpecialFolder specialFolder)
   at Rim.Common.Filesystem.FolderPathExtensions.Combine(SpecialFolder specialFolder, String[] relativePathsToSubfolder)
   at Rim.Common.Filesystem.FolderPathExtensions.ToFolderPathWithFallback(SpecialFolder specialFolder, String fallbackName)
   at Rim.Common.Filesystem.SpecialFolders.get_MyPictures()
   at Rim.Desktop.Media.ViewModel.FileSystem.ComputerFsdsViewModel`1..ctor(ApplicationContentViewModel appViewModel, IFsdsStrings languageResources, MediaSource mediaSource)
   at Rim.Desktop.Media.ViewModel.Pictures.ComputerPicturesViewModel..ctor(ApplicationContentViewModel appViewModel)
   at Rim.Desktop.Media.ViewModel.Pictures.PictureViewModel..ctor()
   at Rim.Desktop.Media.MediaSyncApplication.InitializeApplication()
   at Rim.Desktop.Common.ApplicationBase.Initialize()

Next I have disabled Rim.Desktop.Media.dll located in:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Desktop\Modules\Rim.Desktop.Media.dll

adding .old at the end of the file.

At the next launch of the BDM the software succesfully loaded.

I have to mention that I was running 610_b038 version. After I updated the version to 7 I got the same error. I have repeated the procedure and it worked again.

Highlighted
Contributor

Just a quick update:

Actually BDM does not regenerate Rim.Desktop.Media.dll. But if you repair BDM or update it will put it again and the crash will continue