Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Desktop Manager doesn't recognize device

I plug my device in yet it doesn't recognize it...this happens whether I start the program then plug in the device or vice versa. I am using the latest version of the Manager...any ideas?

Cheers

Contributor

Re: Desktop Manager doesn't recognize device

What version of Desktop Manager do you have installed and what version of Windows are you using? Also what model BlackBerry are you using?

There is a great article on the BTSC that explains some troubleshooting for this issue.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynamickc.do?externalId=KB00125&sliceId=SAL_Public&command=show&forwa...

Regular Contributor

Does it say "Disconnected" or "Disabled"

Either or, go to Options > Connection Settings.    Make sure the dropdown is set to USB <PIN#> and click detect.   Click ok on the messages. 

Contributor

Try using a different USB port on your computer or on another computer with an older version of the desktop software. If any of the other suggestions given fail then I think its safe to say you're going to have to wipe it....
~John

The link for the article doesn't work. Went to an unavailable page.
Be Calm and Tranquil in Your Pursuit of the Finest Things
Contributor

I'm having the sames problem.

I'm using windows XP

I've tried DM version 4.3 & 4.2.2

It connects to my device for 5 seconds after I re-install everything ( & yes, I've done a complete uninstall including the registry)

After 5 seconds, it disconnects the device & I can't get it to connect again, plus I have a windows installer window pop-up and flash for half a second every so often.

I've tried re-downloading windows installer 3.1 to see if something was corrupted, but that didn't help.

I've also turned off the power management for the USB hubs.

New Contributor

I'm having the same problem. I've been using my BB for a month now with no problems except this morning it decided not to connect with the Desktop Manager. It charges perfectly fine and I can still make/receive calls. However the DM will not detect it and it the status at the top of the DM says "Disconnected". I've tried going to Options->Connection->Detect and it says it detects the USB device except now I cannot receive or send any sms's OR emails.

Help?

Contributor

Hey, I got it to work!Windows Install Cleanup & deleted everything blackberry that way, including the Roxio programming.

Then I re-downloaded the DM & it's working perfectly now

New Contributor

I followed the instructions on this page http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/articles/545/KB02206_f.SAL_Public.html and successfully uninstalled the DM (4.5) and reinstalled.  It works just fine now. I too had the flashing "windows installer" boxes and no device connected problems.  FRUSTRATING to say the least... but this was a fix.

New Contributor

mine's worse. got some annoying thing and i need to backup and reinstall the os with a certain policy.bin file...

but now, that's desktop manager that's bugging me.  driver-wise my bb is detected, even y the dsktop manager but suddenly it goes "ensure your device is connected" (it's in french, w/e, you might know that message)

gray screen, no other option than closing the program.

501_b030_multilanguage

[ also, the 322MB uncompressed directory is trolling me. if it'd been lightweight but functional, it would had been , seriously; SICNERELY far better.]

any alternative?

oh wait... dont tell me i could just press UP UP LEFT  RIGHT  A    B   A  to be able to upload that policy binary file via ums straight to the flash!