Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
MrFritz99
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Desktop Manager doesn't see media card - unmasked!

Like many others on this board I purchased a media card for my BB (in this case a Bold) only to be frustrated that it would not show up in Desktop manager either through Roxio or Media Sync.  All of my memory settings appeared correct, I could format the media card on the device, I could have the camera take pictures and save them to the media card, I could explore the media card under the Bold's Media Manager on the device itself.  Needless to say I was frustrated when I would open the desktop manager and try to sync music and only my Device Memory could be seen!

Well I don't know if this will work for everyone else, but I finally figured out what the problem was in my situation.  After thumbing through a number of pages on the Blackberry Support Site (by the way, the ATT folks were useless on helping me out with this one) it turned out it was my computer! Not Media Manager or my Blackberry!

Actually as soon as I read the support page that said "if you cannot view your media card using Microsoft Explorer" it dawned on me!  I'm not sure if Vista is the same way, but XP has this pesky little habit of doing a poor job at assigning drive letters for flash drives.  My machine has one of those multi card readers that takes up a lot of drive letters.  If you look at the list in explorer (file explorer that is) and the next logical drive letter is already assigned to something on your system, Microsoft isn't smart enough to skip that letter and to to the next.  If the drive letter isn't assigned, the logical drive is not enabled, and you can't see it in Desktop Manager!

My Blackberry's Device Memory was assigned as drive K:, drive L: happens to be a drive a mount from a remote machine.  As soon as I disconnected L: as a mounted drive "poof" up shows:

L:Blackberry2[media card]

in addition to my

K:Blackberry1[Device Memory]

Suddenly Desktop Manager can see it all!

Ok, it was a long post but it took me a long time to figure out, so it's only fair! *grin*

On XP, if you go to:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management and select Disk Management, it should show you if you have any conflicts with drive letter assignments.

Hope this helps

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Desktop Manager doesn't see media card - unmasked!

Thank you for your feedback. I hope it will help many people having drive letters assignation problems.

have a nice day.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
glenfeechan

Brilliant. Thank you so much. I thought I was going insane. I had been happily syncronising to my media card for a few weeks and then suddenly couldn't see it. Now it works fine again.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
grnwhite

Thank you Thank you .... this problem has bedeviled me for awhile - it used to see my media card and then it couldn't - reassigning a different drive letter fixed the problem.  Thank you so much.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
salgo11

Hello, thank you for all the explanations, my BB 8100  still does not show up, even though I re installed the desktop manager 5.0 with media manager (in fact the media manager is not working at all), I do have Window XP.  Any help to solve this issue will be appreciated.

Thank you

Please use plain text.
youngsoulja
My Device: Curve 8310

How about instructions for a iMac running Snow Leopard? ://

Please use plain text.