Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
Docven
My Device: Bold

Desktop Manager for Mac won't initialize sync engine for contacts (MacBook Lion OS)

Ever since upgrading to Lion OS on MacBook Pro, Desktop Manager for Mac can't initialize the sync engine for Address Book contacts and the iCalendar sync function wants to overwrite all Address Book birthdays to the wrong dates (off by one day).

OS Lion does not have iSync so does anyone have any ideas, please?  Thanks

New Contributor
madhurtodi
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Desktop Manager for Mac won't initialize sync engine for contacts (MacBook Lion OS)

I have been facing this same problem about the birthdays. I am still on OS X ver 10.6.8 and have been unable to sync all my contacts since the past 4 months.
My problem started when I upgraded the BB desktop software!

Looking for solutions !
Retired
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Desktop Manager for Mac won't initialize sync engine for contacts (MacBook Lion OS)

Hey Docven,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

You will not find iSync since Mac OS X 10.7 has Sync Services already enabled by default.  Try going into Device>Forget Device.  Close down BlackBerry Desktop Software, unplug the BlackBerry via USB, plug it back in and open BlackBerry Desktop Software and setup the sync again and test a few times.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
sjhtorch
My Device: torch

despite posts to the contrary there is a big compatibility problem with Apple LION and Blackberry Desktop manager.

BB are pretending that the problemdoes not exist, but just look over all the boards here and elsewhere.

Come on BLACKBERRY - sort it out

YOUR SHARE PRICE AND SALES DATA ARE TELLING YOU THAT CUSTOMERS ARE VOTING WITH THEIR FEET. I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE BB AS I USE THEM FOR MY BUSINESS.

GET ON TOP OF THE ISSUE - PLEASE

New Contributor
Docven

Your Blackberry Desktop Manager sync function for Calendars and Contacts using iCloud simply does not work guys, or if there is a workaround, I can't find it.

I've got over 6,000 contacts.  Your BB sync function for contacts prior to Lion was a total dog compared to the same function using iTunes and my iPhone/iPad. 

what seems to be the glitch is that your desktop software does not seem to recognize iCloud as a valid calendar and contact source for syncing. Anyone using a Mac and one or more iPhones/iPads may well try iCloud so that everthing is the same with zero effort. It works like a charm in real time.

You guys really need to get ahead of things over there in Waterloo. The BB innovation meter is pointing left and low.

New Contributor
Docven

it look like ICloud is not supported by the current Blackberry Desktop Manager it seems.

What finally worked for me is to disable iCloud for Contacts in System Preferences, keep a copy of the contacts locally when iCloud asks you, then select "On My Mac" as the default for the Contacts in the Preferences of Address Book, then, shut evertything down, restart and voila, Desktop Manager will find the contacts. Then sync, then turn iCloud back on again (be careful).

The final step is optional, but becoming more popular: find someone to buy your Blacberry so you can buy another iPhone.

rose7655
My Device: torch

I am soooooo sorry I stuck with the blackberry torch when I knew I was buy a MAC.  They are in complete denial.  I have spent hours on the phone with blackberry.  So now - like it or not - I am buying an iphone.  Don't believe it will ever work.

ledauphin
My Device: 9630

I'm running 10.6.8 and BB 2.3.0 and I can't get my contacts to sync anymore. I'm not sure when this happened but it's about the time I upgraded to 10.6.8, I think.

I keep getting "And error occurred while syncing contacts" I have tried everything to forgetting the device to deleting all my contacts on in my address book on the BB and the Mac, no luck. I saw something about deleting "no name" contacts on the Mac. I have no idea what these are. Is there any solution to this? If this keeps up I'm switching to an iPhone. I've been with BB since 2004 but this I can't handle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Terryy
My Device: BB9900

Just did the upgrade and now stuck at initializing sync engine. Also checked my address book and found that my own birthday was off by 3 days and another friend of mine off by 2 days... really need help to fix this mess.