Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
winnipeggirl
My Device: Curve 8530
Accepted Solution

Desktop Manager "disconnected" and I can't get rid of the error message

[ Edited ]

I just purchased a Blackberry Curve 8530, running v5 software, my computer is Windows 7. I installed the 501_b073_multilanguage software that I downloaded from Blackberry's website. When I launch the Desktop manager I get this message: "Before you begin, verify that your current BlackBerry device is connected to your computer." The troubleshooting posts I've seen on this forum include many tips (the ones I've tried are below). One in particular I can't do is "The desktop manager is showing "disabled."
-Make sure that the user has gone into the desktop manager and selected options > connection settings > detect."

... because I can't get rid of the error message dialoge box, and I can't click on the options menu in the BB Desktop Manager.

I have tried the following:

• uninstalled it and reinstalled it twice - 2nd uninstall was a "hard" uninstall where I deleted the registry files by hand
  • moved the cable to the USB port in the back (after trying both the ports in the front) of the computer
  • restarted the computer many times
  • hard booted the phone by removing the battery
  • plugged in, removed, and replugged in the phone.

Also:

• The phone is installing correctly when I plug it in, but the software still doesn't seem to see it.
  • In the Device Manager, the BlackBerry is showing up under Portable Devices. Double-clicking on it gives me the reassurring "This device is working properly." message.
  • The Com1 port is working properly also, according to the Device Manager.
  • Double-clicking on the device manager icon to get the properties shows that the Com1 port is "disconnected" -- when I try to configure it it just pops back to the disconnected state.

If someone has an idea or something I haven't tried I'd sure appreciate it!!

Thanks!

K

1922i6EA0B3AAEC89F713

1921i9862D7309A8FC1B3

New Contributor
blakeclark
My Device: curve 8900

Re: Desktop Manager "disconnected" and I can't get rid of the error message

I have the exact same problem. Please help us somebody?

New Contributor
blakeclark

Bump

New Contributor
winnipeggirl

What does "bump" mean?

New Contributor
blakeclark

Bump is forum speak for moving a thread to the top of a give forum (and hence being more likely to be noticed by other users).

New Contributor
winnipeggirl

Thanks! I have set up a call to Blackberry support (since my phone company was unable to help me) and I'll post any useful info. So far, I've been told that the Windows 64-bit setup hasn't been supported by the software until recently.
New Contributor
winnipeggirl

Okay, folks, after a 3 1/2 hour phone call with a (very patient) telephone support person at Blackberry, here's what I learned.

You can check your USB drivers this way:

1. Plug in your phone into your USB drive. Assuming your Blackberry is "seen" by your computer...
  2. Go into the Device Manager on your computer (control panel)
  3. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers item on the bottom of the list
  4. Right-click on BlackBerry Smartphone and choose Properties
  5. Click on the Driver tab
  6. Click on the Driver Details button
  7. You should see one driver. I saw two. The one the BlackBerry likes is the RimUsb one.

So here's what NOT to do: We tossed the entire driver that was the "extra". This effectively made using my mouse and keyboard impossible, as they are USB, and sent my poor husband into the basement to find a million-year-old keyboard (and then a mouse) with the old fashioned kind of connectors (PS2). Bleh. Don't do that.

Here's what I did that worked (not saything this will work for you -- this modifies the Registry so better do a system backup with that backup and restore if you're nervous about this sort of thing):

1. From the start menu, choose run, and type regedit to get into the Registry editor.
  2. Follow this file path: Computer, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Control, Class
  3. Click on: {36FCE60-C465-11CF-8056-4445535400000}
  4. If there's an item on the right called "UpperFilters", delete it. (see pictures)

Hope this helps someone.

Karin

First pic: shows "before"

1972i98E0653D85DCEE59

Second pic: shows full file path and "after"

1970iF91BCEFA27E74865

New Contributor
blakeclark

Karin,

Thank you so much. I did what you said, and it now works perfectly.

Blake

x x x x x

New Contributor
winnipeggirl

So glad it helped someone else besides me! :smileyvery-happy:

The RIM rep (BlackBerry) assured me, no, promised me, that he would see to it that this info would make it into their knowledge base articles so it would help others. It was really an entire afternoon installing on different computers and doing all sorts of crazy things.

Note to users: please try all the stuff in the knowledge base articles, like this post (there are others) first. (Note from me: I can get mine to work from the front or rear ports, but maybe every computer is different): http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Tips-for-getting-BlackBerry-Deskt...

New Contributor
bb0358

WOW....what else can I say. After hours and hours of research on how to get my wife's BB to sync with DTM on her DELL laptop......This was the one that worked. The upperfilter was their, I deleted it and hooked the BB up to laptop and what do you know.....Finally connected. Thanks so very much for posting this. Sure made my life a lot easier.  Awesome...thanks again.