Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Desktop Mgr / No Pin Recognized / Disconnected

I have been reading through some of the messages and fixes for a similar problem, but none of them seem to help me.  New to BB Curve for the past several weeks.  Desktop Mgr 4.3 recognized my BB and I was able to synch w/ no problems until the past several days.  It will not detect the device at all even when I try to do a "detect".  I also uninstalled Desktop Mgr 4.3 and installed 4.5.  No luck whatsoever.  Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this issue and what I can do to fix it?  completely frustrating...

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Desktop Mgr / No Pin Recognized / Disconnected

Try removing desktop manager once again and also remove all the folder setting too. Have restart to your PC then check the go to your PCs local drive look for BlackBerry folder in your Program Files (default location: C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry). Delete this BlackBerry folder.

Now try to install Desktop Manager 4.5 and connect your device via USB.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

It didn't work!  I did a complete uninstall based on your reply and what it said on Blackberry.com.  One thing I did notice on the blackberry when I connected the USB cable is that next to the power indicator, the plug icon came up for about 5 seconds and then disappeared.  I really don't know what's going on since it was fine about a week ago....
New Contributor

Issue resolved.  I went to the verizon store and they had the same USB cable problem.  Traded out cables and it still didn't work properly.  They gave me a new phone and all is well.  Not sure what happened...
New Contributor

No dice!  It worked once.  And when I put my USB cable again later into my BB a few hours later, it stayed at the Disconnect mode on v4.3.  I did a detect and it would not find the device.  I think I have scoured the internet and this forum for fixes and nothing has worked.  I have Vista on my PC, disabled McAfee, etc.... UGH
New Contributor

I'm having the same problem.  Vista did a couple updates , anti virus and security updates i believe, and ever since i've been recieving the "usb device unknown" message.  my guess is its windows.
New Contributor

I am glad to know I am not the only one experiencing this problem!  Now finding the solution is going to be the hard part...
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8320, 8120

Hello.

A couple of things to try with your BlackBerry plugged in:

Go to Windows Device Manager

Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Check if you see something RIM or BlackBerry related - if so right click it and select uninstall

Unplug the BlackBerry and plug it back in - the drivers should reinstall

Something else:

In device manager you should see some "USB Root Hub"

Double click them(one at a time), click the power management tab and ensure there is no checkmark next to  "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"  if there is a check mark, clear it.

Reboot the pc, remove the battery from the BlackBerry and put it back in.

Cheers!

New Contributor

in the device manager, when i plug in my 8310 it shows "unknown device"  tried uninstalling everything. still the same message.

New Contributor

Hello-

I am relieved that there are other "USB device unknown" victims. I have looked everywhere for a solution.

I have a curve 8320. On my laptop, I have Windows XP. The desktop Manager is 4.2.2 Install Shield Wizard. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I have chosen the Blackberry Internet option when installing as I do not have access to an Enterprise server.

When I plug in my husband's Curve 8320, the USB device is recognised. When I try to connect using the same cable, I get "device unknown ". This leads me to believe that there is nothing wrong with Windows and something awry with my BB.

I have followed the advice about going into the Device Manager and checking the Power Management of each USB root hubs. Still no luck.

Any suggestions? I am tempted to go to T-Mobile and ask for another BB.

Thanks a million-

Nora