Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
yg2012
My Device: Curve 9330

Desktop Restore Overwrote existing memos in MemoPad

I was trying to bring over some old notes from my old Blackberry 9630. I did a backup of the old device using Balckberry Desktop Software (the new version, v7), and then I used "restore" function and chose the Memos to bring these old memos only to the new device (Blackberry 9330). The memos were ported to 9330, but  the few memos I already had on 9330 are now gone. Is there any way to recover them?  

PS I had thought that Desktop is smart not to overwite the enitre population of memos that already existed on 9330

Forums Veteran III
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Desktop Restore Overwrote existing memos in MemoPad

I think you overwote all of them.  Did you do a backup of the 9330 before you did the restore from the 9630?

Also are you using blackberry protect?  protect does backup the memopad.  If you didn't do a backup of the 9330 first or use blackberry protect, I think those memos are gone.  Do you have an older backup of he 9330 you can use?  I'm thinking when you do a restore, it is replacing your current data with the stuff from the backup.  Its not adding additional memos to the device.  I haven't used this in awhile, but I thought the desktop manager gives a prompt or warning that you are going to replace the data.

thanks for the suggestion - I had not sadly backed up 9330 and did not have Protect. I will definitely download Protect now. I am still hoping there is still a way to recover these memos, however?

Forums Veteran III
Wolf359

Not that I know of.  Are you a corporate email user?  I have corporate email on a blackberry and my memopad is synced with Outlook notes.  If you aren't then I don't know of a way to get them back.  Do you sync with outlook at home? (maybe the memos are on there) 

if not, its a done deal.

a non-corporate user, dont use Outlook so havent synced it with it:smileysad:
Forums Veteran III
Wolf359

yeah.  I checked around the web, but didn't see anything that may help.  You can look around a little too, but I think the desktop software has completely replaced the memopad database.

the older versions of Desktop at least allowed you to bring the memo pads as csv files so it was possible to handle them. The new Desktop themn doesnt merge the data at all.. arhh
Forums Veteran III
Wolf359

I think thats right.  :smileysad:  I wish you had done a backup before the restore.