Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Desktop Software Junk

I'm sorry, but I'm kind of at my wit's end with RIM/Blackberry. I have used the Desktop Manager software and it continued to disintegrate with use. I came here (months ago) asking for help on that and never really got an answer. And, I won't even get in to the issues BB has of it's horrible Contacts-syncing (what "groups?") and proprietary/unfriendly "playlists".

Today I have downloaded and installed the latest version of the Desktop Manager HOPING for some improvements. I installed it on 3 different machines... all CLEAN installs (yes, they're all compliant machines). CONCLUSION: This software is junk. It added an additional 3 minutes and 40 seconds to boot-up on each machine (bootup normally took about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes). Are you kidding? As an added bonus... the best support I can get is a help board (no offense to helpful people on this board... it's to BB/RIM in general)? So lacking in its abilities that they have to just eliminate (or completely bury) any sort of "direct support" for the general user? Really???

So, in summary, I have phones for which it's own supporting/updating software is worthless and am forced to utilize other means by which to conduct functions on these phones. At least the on/off button works.

Extremely disappointed and will be throwing ALL the BB phones in the garbage soon. Amazing how lack of support will cause lack of sales.

Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Desktop Software Junk

Oh, don't be shy, if you have a question... ask!

Did you install the DM with the Media Manager software? I would trash installation and install without MM. The MM software is notoriously hoggish in desktop memory and processing space. See, I am not the "RIM fanatic" a user here earlier today called me... I can trash RIM products with the best of you.

So, no offense, but I happen to think this IS the best support you can get. You wanna talk with some one who likely doesn't even use a BlackBerry OR the software? Call your carrier and get someone in Costa Rica, probably.

You want to talk with people who intricately know their devices inside-out and use it to its max? Post here.

:smileyhappy:

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

there is a way for Desktop Manager not to load at windows Startup. I don"t remember where it is, it's perhaps in the window of the device little icon in the system tray.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

It's an option you choose to DISABLE upon installation of Desktop Mananger to your PC.

On your PC > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Desktop Manager application > Change or Remove > new screen click NEXT > Modify and keep clicking next to the screen with the choice to UNcheck the line "Start Desktop Manager on Windows startup.

I guess the original poster could do that... but they didn't seem to want help on this.  :smileyindifferent:

Anyway, that's how.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code