Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
laugher
My Device: Bold 9900

Desktop Software for Mac - Bugs, Issues and Concerns

Ok. I took a deep breath one day and went back to the Blackberry Desktop Software for Mac 2.2.0 (Build 17). I hope RIM puts more emphasis on quality assurance and testing because this is horrible.

• I am on Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Leopard).
  • I have Office for Mac installed and using the Entourage Notes as the Notes store
  • I use MobileMe/iCloud so both Mac OS X's Address Book and iCal
  • I have a Blackberry Bold 9900 with OS 7 Bundle 1346 (v7.0.0.261, Platform 5.0.0.464)
  • There are no officially available OS 7 updates from Starhub (my telco here in Singapore) that I am aware of although I am aware that other carriers have been updating their OS 7

The fundamental problem I have with Blackberry Desktop Software 2.2.0 are;

1. The documentation is not clear - on whether the user should plug in the BB first or start the Desktop Software first.  Sometimes, this would mean whether Desktop Software sees your BB or not. I now plug in my BB first and turn on USB drive BEFORE I start Desktop Software.
  2. Once you kick off a sync, if you try to kick off another sync, there is an increasing likelihood that the Desktop Software will fail to see your BB or fail to sync - Causes are unknown as I haven't been playing with anything else on the BB or the Mac during these entire periods of testing. I usually have to restart the Mac for it to work again.
  3. Contacts synchronisation takes way too long - If I kick off a sync with the Mac address book and BB phone that has NO changes, it can take up to 10 minutes to finish for approximately 1000 contacts. If I was the average user, I would think something is seriously wrong at about the 3 minutes mark.
  4. The status of the software sync progress is terrible - I do not even know that contacts, calendar entries are being synced except for a static text that tells me its working on it. I would like to see a counter to determine where I am in the sync and how much longer I have to wait for it to finish. Even if it can't estimate this, I like to see on which record it is working on so I can estimate it myself.
  5. Trying to sync to Entourage Notes with no notes will cause the sync to fail - if I select desktop overwrites device.
  6. There is an absence of a "Device overwrites Desktop" option - If I sync with more than one machine and I know that the last sync I conducted with my Mac is the latest, then the next machine I sync with, I would like to indicate clearly that I would like the device to be my authoritative full copy and it should overwrite any desktop records.
  7. I have experienced incidences where duplicate records in Address Book are created - as a result of a sync with two computers.
  8. I have also seen my Entourage Notes get totally wiped clean - Good thing I have two computers!

That's all I can recall so far. The Windows version is much more stable and quicker sync'ing against Microsoft Outlook.

Happy for anyone else to add on to this message documenting all Desktop Software faults in one place.

:Beta1:

Contributor
laugher

Re: Desktop Software for Mac - Bugs, Issues and Concerns

[ Edited ]

Ahh yes...forgot one.

• Can't individually select to sync just contacts, calendar or notes. Why?!!!
Contributor
laugher

Re: Desktop Software for Mac - Bugs, Issues and Concerns

[ Edited ]

New bug found.

• Making unauthorized changes to the Address Book - My Mac OS X Address Book (which is backed up) has recently had 243 contacts out of 999 re-created with their group memberships stripped.

In Mac OS X address book, you can create groups which you can assign contacts to. For example, you can create a group called "Work Colleagues" and throw all your professional contacts into that group.  For 243 contacts, this has been stripped through 243 contacts recreated. The Sync process asked me to confirm the changes. I either reject (which means no sync between Address Book and BB) or I accept. There is no other option. I do not have visibility of what the changes are (no group membership information is displayed with any details presented for the change).

Nothing else is using the Address Book. I have had no issues with sync'ing an Apple iPhone with Apple's excellent iTunes software (that knows how to sync changes) on the address book. So far, the only thing touching the address book is the Blackberry Desktop Software when it syncs with the BB.

Peculiar thing is I made no changes to the BB and the Address Book. It somehow decided 243 contacts had to be recreated (or amended) from scratch. Totally random factors involved in its decision making about what to sync and what to change.

Not good...