Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
Hunter_Family
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8530

Desktop Software -> Organizer -> Contacts greyed out

In the organizer section of Desktop Software, the box beside Contacts (not available) is greyed out and Configure is greyed out.  The other three options (Calendar, Tasks and Memos) are fine (not greyed out).  And they sync.  Contacts used to sync as well until I updated the Desktop software.  Now there are no contacts on the Blackberry.  Or strangely, some screens seem to say there are several contact records, but when going to the contacts, none display.

How can I sync contacts from Outlook to Blackberry, when the contacts is greyed out on Desktop Software?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Desktop Software -> Organizer -> Contacts greyed out

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There actually are a whole series of public KBs that are close to your reported issue, each with different possible causes and resolutions. Rather than linking here to all of them, I instead recommend you go to the KB database and perform a search:

Inspect the results to see if perhaps any of the existing KB articles are applicable to your specific situation.

Otherwise, I suggest this thread:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hunter_Family

Thanks for your response.  I am frustrated to a level I can't remember with Blackberry.

Your first reply doesn't help.  I have spent 6 hours+ in the knowledge database.  Simple thing I want.  Contacts greyed on desktop software.  I have put in 100+ iterations of what this might be.  There are a few threads that match this problem.  The most common solution is to disable wireless connection.  It is.  I don't use wireless.  The next most common response is to not give a solution - problem stated, user left hanging.  Occassionally they are resolved but there is no clear course of action, rather - "I figured it out" or something.

Your first answer is to keep fishing.  There is no clear KB for this question.  Simple problem - contacts greyed in desktop.  If so, please link me to it.

I am trying the second suggestion.  Unistalled BB Desktop, reboot, reinstall.  All good.  BUT I CAN'T FIND WHERE IT IS INSTALLED!!!!!!!!  No icon made.  No quick launch.  Plug in my BB and it doesn't Autostart.  Looked in Program files and Program files x86 - I can find a Research in Motiondirectory but it was not installed today, was several years ago.  Likely the remnants of the uninstall where the uninstall only did half a job.  (Lots of confidence in the uninstall process after seeing that - not).  Search for "Blackberry" and desktop software in file manager - can't find the **bleep** EXE??!?!  Why is this so hard?  WHERE DID THE FILE GET INSTALLED!!?  And even if we figure this out, I'd bet money that the contacts will still inexplicably be greyed out once I launch it.  But... here's hoping.

I have spent probably 30 hours plus so far over months trying to figure out what should be extremely simple.  There is no way this software should grey out an option like that.  There are so few options to explore on desktop software that it is easy to troubleshoot by trying every possible option the software provides.  My guess is that this is some kind of mapping issue - not sure why it can find my calendar on outlook but not the contacts.  My provider is in the business of making money selling phones and doesn't know BB software well enough to help with this issue.  BB won't let you email them and provides no contact number.  Except for self-help and reliance on generosity of others in this forum, there is no means to get an answer to this simple question from a multi-billion dollar company.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

While I understand your frustrations, I can only do so much to try and alleviate that. I'm sorry that I gave you redundant advice (the link to the KB database)...from your first post, I had no way to know that you'd already been there.

I don't quite understand what you describe regarding your issues with the Start Over process...maybe perhaps you have a PC/Windows problem that is causing these issues? Virus Protection blocking the way? Some other restrictions in place? Not an admin maybe?

I must, however, disagree with your conclusion that it should be "simple"...given the results you have coupled with the results you've spent so much time researching, I don't think it's simple at all. All to often in life and with technology, that which we seem to think of as simple is actually quite complex, but we mere users just don't have the visibility to see the complexities.

In the worst of the worst cases, I've seen folks with Desktop Software troubles need to actually do a full reload of their Windows system...drastic, I know, but Windows can easily get honked up by things, given its OSA nature...and sometimes it just gets too honked up to proceed, and no 3rd party app can cure what may be corrupt at the core of the OS.

Your situation, as you've described it, is quite unusual...not unique to be sure, but rather unusual. But, in most all cases, that clean start over works to cure situations.

Then again...anything you do will only be effective if, in your situation, OTA sync isn't somehow configured on the device. If it is, then the Desktop Software is designed to defer to that on-device setting.

Now before you yell at me some more...I know that you said you don't use OTA, but did you actually check BOTH places that the setting could be configured? If it accidentally got configured somehow, then it would indeed be impeding your progress now (and will continue to do so as long as it's configured on the device).

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hunter_Family

I don't mean to yell.  Especially at anyone kind enough to help me.  :smileywink:

I have uninstalled the software.  I have gone to BB site, determined my provider, BB type, and selected download.  I downloaded the file to a specific location.  Then I launched the file (open), which effectively installed it.  BB desktop software is now installed.  But ... nothing looks any different.

The next instruction is quite simple, open BB desktop software, now installed.  I can't find where it is installed.  The installation should have prompted to make an icon, or shortcut or something.  Now I have no idea where it is. 

No problem.  I'll look.  How hard could it be?  Well ... hard.  Can't find it in a progam files directory.  Can't find it when I search "blackberry" (although I get 100 matches).  Don't know how to sort and find something on my computer just installed today (search files by date installed) or indeed if the date of the file will be the installation date or its original creation date.

The problem is really 2 things:  The install didn't make it easy to start desktop manager (it didn't start it, no icon, no shortcut).  And I don't know the name of the .exe file I am even looking for to run the installed program.

I'm embarrassed to ask help for such a simple thing as "I installed a program and can't find where it is installed" but wonder if you would endulge me to give me the name of the .exe, or tell me the likely path it was automatically installed to so I can create a shortcut.  I have Windows 8 so that is partly my problem - learning a new operating system every time a new one comes out.  So I'm slow because I'm learning how microsoft changed things even at the install/file location/search capability level.  Still, install should have told me the path it was installing to or launched the program.  But I guess I didn't write the code.  And the control panel for installed programs should tell me the "properties" of programs, but doesn't.  Only lets me uninstall the BB desktop.  Doesn't help me launch it.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ahhhh...new information...Win8...I have zero experience with it. So all I can do is give you generic stuff...I can't give you anything specific to Win8.

Hunter_Family wrote:

I have uninstalled the software.

What, exactly, did you uninstall? Both steps 1 and 2 deal with uninstalling...but since you've not given any step numbers here, I can't tell.

Hunter_Family wrote:
I have gone to BB site, determined my provider, BB type, and selected download.  I downloaded the file to a specific location.  Then I launched the file (open), which effectively installed it.  BB desktop software is now installed. 

From the steps you gave there, I don't think so. What you describe is downloading and installing the BB OS package, not the Desktop Software. There are two things to remove, and then two things to install. Both the Desktop Software and your BBOS package get installed to your PC, but they get done in the exact order listed in that thread...and, from what I see here, you skipped over steps 3 and 5.

Hunter_Family wrote:
The next instruction is quite simple, open BB desktop software, now installed.  I can't find where it is installed.  The installation should have prompted to make an icon, or shortcut or something.  Now I have no idea where it is. 

No problem.  I'll look.  How hard could it be?  Well ... hard.  Can't find it in a progam files directory.  Can't find it when I search "blackberry" (although I get 100 matches).  Don't know how to sort and find something on my computer just installed today (search files by date installed) or indeed if the date of the file will be the installation date or its original creation date.

The problem is really 2 things:  The install didn't make it easy to start desktop manager (it didn't start it, no icon, no shortcut).  And I don't know the name of the .exe file I am even looking for to run the installed program.

I'm embarrassed to ask help for such a simple thing as "I installed a program and can't find where it is installed" but wonder if you would endulge me to give me the name of the .exe, or tell me the likely path it was automatically installed to so I can create a shortcut.  I have Windows 8 so that is partly my problem - learning a new operating system every time a new one comes out.  So I'm slow because I'm learning how microsoft changed things even at the install/file location/search capability level.  Still, install should have told me the path it was installing to or launched the program.  But I guess I didn't write the code.  And the control panel for installed programs should tell me the "properties" of programs, but doesn't.  Only lets me uninstall the BB desktop.  Doesn't help me launch it.

This is what further tells me that you skipped too many steps in the process...the reason you can't find the Desktop Software is because you skipped over the steps to download and install it. At least, that's what I glean from the words you've used here. If you would cite step numbers in your responses, I might be able to better understand exactly what you have done. But, as written, I can only surmise that you skipped over some of the steps, and doing that invalidates the entire process.

Then again, it could be a Win8 thing...which, as I said, I have no experience with at all.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hunter_Family

Yes, with win8 it is challenging because the Start --> whatever you want to do is gone, although I understand you can recreate it ... for a price.

I had not appreciated I needed to install the desktop software, and then install some other software that seems like the desktop software based on who my provider is.  Still don't understand to be honest.

But.  I did the steps and installed the generic one (I'll call it) and installed whatever it is that is installed when the exact provider you use is installed.  Now I got the icon, shortcut and everything. :smileyhappy:  Thanks.

However, same problem still.  Contacts greyed out.  The programmer of this software should reconsider greying out configure beside contacts.  My guess is the problem is that it can't find my contacts (thus the reason it says no contacts available).  It should let you diagnose this.  I don't know why it can find outlook calendar but not contacts.  I have contacts.

I think my solution is to get rid of Blackberry.  I know you have spent some time with me and I appreciate it, but I actually had this problem for over a year on my phone.  My wife has the same phone and I stupidly agreed to update software on her phone, when I knew it was the catalyst for greying out contacts on mine.  What is mean is update to the desktop software itself.  I went without contacts for a year (not much fun), but she can't go without them. 

Our provider recommended simply changing phones to a new one.  Typical answer of getting something new when there is a problem with technology.  But probably the right answer.  A phone is essentially free and the massive monthly payments are made to cover part of  the hardware being free.  I shudder to think of multiplying the time I have spent over a year, periodically trying to figure this out, times some hourly pay rate.  Ouch.   

My problem stands.  Desktop Software -> Organizer, contacts is greyed out.  I think we are done with Blackberry.

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hunter_Family wrote:

I had not appreciated I needed to install the desktop software, and then install some other software that seems like the desktop software based on who my provider is.  Still don't understand to be honest.

Hence the reason I laid out all of the steps so carefully... The purpose is thus.

The Desktop Software is "generic", it's the same for everyone. Installed alone, it attempts to use some automatic processes where it grabs more stuff from the Internet in order to enable it to work with your specific device. Everyone uses the exact same Desktop Software.

The second piece is your BB device OS package, which is completely specific to you. Installing also that to your PC, on top of the Desktop Software (hence, after) sort of customizes the Desktop Software to be more specific to your exact BB model and OS level of your device. By doing this installation, you block the "automatic" process of the Desktop Software and force it to do exactly what you desire, not what it might automatically come up with.

Sometimes it is necessary to install both, but the minimum install is the Desktop Software itself for it installs all of the necessary device drivers to your computer to enable your computer and your BB to communicate with each other via USB. Adding to it and also installing to your PC the BBOS package sort of strengthens the ability of your computer and your BB to communicate with each other (among many other things...I'm being a bit generic here).

This is also the method by which you force an updated OS to your BB. The automatic method will only offer you what your carrier has sanctioned...via this process, you can use any BB OS package from any carrier as long as it's for the exact same BB model number as your device...the process will force that specific BB OS to be installed to your BB.

Hunter_Family wrote:

But.  I did the steps and installed the generic one (I'll call it) and installed whatever it is that is installed when the exact provider you use is installed.  Now I got the icon, shortcut and everything. :smileyhappy:  Thanks.

Good...at least that's now correct.

Hunter_Family wrote:

However, same problem still.  Contacts greyed out.  The programmer of this software should reconsider greying out configure beside contacts.  My guess is the problem is that it can't find my contacts (thus the reason it says no contacts available).  It should let you diagnose this.  I don't know why it can find outlook calendar but not contacts.  I have contacts.

Well, I've tried to point you in the right direction, but you've not yet responded to what I suggested earlier about checking the TWO places that OTA sync may be configured (albeit accidentally, I am sure) on your BB device. And, as I said, if either of those is enabled, then that forces the Desktop Software into the state you see it. That is how it works, and indeed that's how it has to work. You can't have two master sources of data...there can be only one master, and the rest are replicas. When you enable OTA sync on the device, that declares that the server it is configured for is the master, and it will not then sync between the device and Outlook...rather, you have to configure Outlook to also work with the server. That is just the way it is.

Since you so skimmed over the detailed start-over instructions, I am led to believe that perhaps you've also skimmed over this bit? So please check again...check BOTH places that OTA sync for Contacts could be configured on your BB, and be sure that BOTH of them are indeed disabled.

Hunter_Family wrote:

I think my solution is to get rid of Blackberry.  I know you have spent some time with me and I appreciate it, but I actually had this problem for over a year on my phone.  My wife has the same phone and I stupidly agreed to update software on her phone, when I knew it was the catalyst for greying out contacts on mine.  What is mean is update to the desktop software itself.  I went without contacts for a year (not much fun), but she can't go without them. 

A year? Jeepers...for such a fixable problem (if my suspicions are correct, that is). But, as with all technology, there is a plethora of choices out there so as to try and closely satisfy the variety of human needs, desires, and tolerance levels. If BB does not meet your set of those, then by all means you should look to alternatives.

Hunter_Family wrote:

Our provider recommended simply changing phones to a new one.  Typical answer of getting something new when there is a problem with technology.  But probably the right answer.  A phone is essentially free and the massive monthly payments are made to cover part of  the hardware being free.  I shudder to think of multiplying the time I have spent over a year, periodically trying to figure this out, times some hourly pay rate.  Ouch.   

Yes, it is quite typical for providers to recommend different things. Actually, it's not the provider...it's the individual person you spoke to. Each have their own set of biases, just like the rest of us.

Hunter_Family wrote:

My problem stands.  Desktop Software -> Organizer, contacts is greyed out.  I think we are done with Blackberry.

It is a pity, especially since there are so many unanswered questions, and my suspicions remain about things you may have skimmed over. BBs are complex devices, and they have to be in order to maintain their rating as the most secure mobile devices available. There's just no way to compromise one for the other.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hunter_Family

Done with Blackberry because if I get a new phone version, it will still likely use this software or a version very close.  If this software can't find my contacts for this phone, it likely won't for a new Blackberry.  It's maybe something to do with the program/Win8/the update to BB 5.0 bundle 1596.  And no one may ever figure it out.  The phone works fine.  What a waste.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hunter_Family

Sorry.  Wrote my last post before you had time to respond.

I will try to check "OTA sync for Contacts configured on your BB".  To be honest I am very poor with Blackberry and chosing when I press the button in the middle, when I press the menu button and when I'm supposed to find some other options setting.

I don't know what OTA means.  Partly I dont' know what keys to press to do what you are telling me to do.

I have read posts and many refer to an "Address Book".  I don't have an address book on the BB or my PC.  Contacts.

On the BB if I move the "cursor" to Contacts in press the middle button, I get a screen that says: Find: then New Contact: on the next line, then * No Contacts * on the third.

If I press the menu button when contacts selected then it jumps to an icon list of all menu icons, effectively moving off contacts. 

When I have the cursor on contacts, then press the middle button, THEN press menu, then select options. then select the third line (Default), it says Wireless Sychorization, not available.  Then it says Number of Entries: 377.  That is probably my contact list that it says it doesn't have.

I would like to try your two "OTA sync" things, but I just haven't caught on to what you mean.

Please use plain text.