Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Re: Desktop Software version 6 wont start??

Installed V6 no issues with install.

Opening the application results in a "loading" cursor, but then nothing at all happens.

Log file shows nothing.

Added the registry entry  

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerryTranscoder\SkipSupportCheck (DWORD) to a value of ‘1’

now i get a splash screen on opening the issue, then the splash screen goes away and nothing more happens.

two processes do start

rim.desktop.autoupdate.exe   and   rim.desktop.exe

no start tray icons or anything other than the two entries in the processes list.

windows 7, 32bit. 

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blackberry Desktop Manager Software version 6 wont start??

Hi eywong:

It looks like you’re running into a bug in .Net  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968227).

I believe the easiest solution is to enter your Regional and Language settings.  Switch you current format to anything other than English, then switch it back to US English.  Open the ‘Customize this format…’ dialog, and hit the ‘reset’ button.  Then hit apply.

This should fix any corruption in your Regional options.

We’re going to add some handling for this in the next version of the product, to try to ignore corrupted regional settings.

Cheers

M

Need additional information on BlackBerry products?

visit: http://www.blackberry.net

blackberry.net

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: AT&T

So you're saying I should re-install Desktop Software 6 (I have already uninstalled it from my Dell Inspiron Mini running Win7 Starter) and when it doesn't boot up (cause it reads Blackberry Desktop Software has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.) that at that point I should close the program, go change the Language Setting to NOT English*, apply, and then go back to set it to English US, apply again, and then the Blackberry Desktop Software will work?  

*You then said Open the ‘Customize this format…’ dialog, and hit the ‘reset’ button.  Then hit apply.  I do not see anything that says ‘Customize this format. Where is it??

Contributor
My Device: Z10 STL 100-3

Hi mechanicus,

Your suggested solution resolved my issue. (I had suspected there might be some issue with .Net.) I am now able to run DM 6 to synch Outlook with my BB.

Thank you.

Ed

Contributor
My Device: Z10 STL 100-3

Hi bovio77,

Performing these following steps/actions resolved my issue:

Click “Start”

Click “Control Panel”

Click “Regional and Language Options”

In the drop-down box, change “English (United States)” to “Italian (Italy)”

Click “Apply”

In the drop-down box, change “Italian (Italy)” to “English (United States)”

Click “Apply”

Click “OK”

Now, launch “BlackBerry Desktop Software.”

Previously, Desktop Software would run several seconds, pop up a window saying, ""BlackBerry Desktop Software has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience." and then shutdown.

Now, after performing the above steps, Desktop Software works as I expect. That is, it runs and I have succeeded in synching Outlook to my BB.

Note: I am running Windows XP SP3 on my laptop. You may have a different experience with Windows 7, but the steps I listed above should help guide you to success.

Good luck.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Bovio -

Not all crashes are the same.  You can see in the other threads that different things can cause a crash . . . so the steps that eywong used might not do anything for you.

What text do you see in the file located at %appdata%/Rim.Desktop.Exception.log ?

New Contributor
My Carrier: Telenor

Anyways I spoke with RIM canada for one hour and they are aware of this problem

New Contributor
My Carrier: Telenor

I spoke with RIM Canada for one hour.  Even their new fix dated 09th September does not help.  They are aware of the problem

New Contributor
My Device: 9530
My Carrier: Telus

RIM software has to be about the flakiest pile of **bleep** out there (well maybe second to Mr. Gates products:smileywink:) .

I have nothing but problems with their buggy software. DTM constantly nags to install the new version so I cave thinking 'it won't be like last time' but lo and behold yet again, I am faced with wasting time hunting down why the 'latest greatest DTM" crashes, won't sync, etc etc.

The only answer ever is to revert back to an old version. Why can Mr Balsilly not produce a product that actually WORKS out of the gate? Maybe if he spent the $250+ million he's throwing around at an NHL team on R&D we users could get a little reliability for a change@!@

I'm sick of upgrading then having to waste an hour uninstalling & reinstalling, restoring settings, re-syncing, and fixing duplicate or corrupt entries! This is NOT an isolated incident with RIM, this is the status quo for new DTM versions. I'm seriously thinking of changing platforms, at least Mr Jobs recognizes problems and has some conscience when it comes to reliability.

My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

Hello I am getting similar issues trying to run the Blackberry Desktop software.  It installed fine, but when I run it it just hangs.  I found this error in the Tim.Desktop.Exception file:

19:45:51.989|FATAL|1|Exception|0|Fatal Error
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at System.Windows.Window.CloseWindowFromWmClose()
   at System.Windows.Window.WmClose()
   at System.Windows.Window.WindowFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.PublicHooksFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(DispatcherPriority priority, Delegate method, Object arg)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.UnsafeSendMessage(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at System.Windows.Window.InternalClose(Boolean shutdown, Boolean ignoreCancel)
   at System.Windows.Application.DoShutdown()
   at System.Windows.Application.ShutdownImpl()
   at System.Windows.Application.ShutdownCallback(Object arg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(DispatcherPriority priority, Delegate method, Object arg)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run()
   at Rim.Desktop.Shell.App.Main()