Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

My Device: 8520

Desktop manager keeps asking for device password

I type in my password which I know to be correct, or I'd have been locked out of it a long time ago, and it just keeps popping up. I can't back up my device or anything with the PC. What gives? Is it looking for a different password??

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Desktop manager keeps asking for device password

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I did a quick search and the technical information I can locate is for generic older

versions and devices. I placed two at the bottom

As there are multiple causes for this I need very detailed specific information about the following:

PC manufacture, model, version of software including service packs,

What version of desktop manager is currently  installed and were there prior installations?

I need to know If you are using the desktop manager in desktop redirector mode,

I need your exact model number device, your current carrier and the device OS

you are currently running. Have you had noticed any error messages on the device or

your PC?

This link is the best tip you'll ever get for posting  The best fix for your device

Complete the steps in that link and then let me know the answers to the above.

If you need help finding any info let me know as well.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB00026 Prompted for a password by the BlackBerry Desktop Manager

KB00135 BlackBerry Desktop Software prompting to upgrade BlackBerry Device Software

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

My Device: 9700

I am experiencing the same problem as mpiacen. So frustrating for not able to access the Desktop Manager :smileysad:

Help!

Visitor
My Device: Curve 8530

If you have a numeric password, it probably is a alphabetical password on the computer, if you don't use ALT that is.

Example: if your password is -1234-on your phone without using ALT, it is -wers- on your computer.

My Device: Blackberry curve 8520

The same thing is happening to me! I am thinking that it might be the IMEI we need to type in, but i am really not sure :/

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

nelleanden wrote:

The same thing is happening to me! I am thinking that it might be the IMEI we need to type in, but i am really not sure :/

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

NO!!! It is the exact same password as you use every day to unlock your BB. The password you created for the security enhancement that it provides. Rather, it's likely the trickiness of the BB keyboard. The BB keyboard is so small that each key must do many different functions, and they change based on the various key modifiers (alt, caps, etc.). As a result, when you created the password on the BB, you thought you were typing one thing when you actually were typing something completely different. When you tether to the PC, you typed the same thing that you thought you always type on the BB keyboard...but it was not correct as the PC keyboard and the BB keyboard are different. If you fail 10 times, it will dutifully wipe away all of your personal data (that security measure thing).

Before reaching the 10th try, untether and enter the password on the BB keyboard as you normally do -- that will reset the counter back to zero (it's the same counter regardless of input method).

So, when you next create or use the password on the BB, pay very close attention to the actual characters that get sent when you do so...you will be surprised by what the actual character is. You should get just a moment to see each character in the clear before it changes to a *.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: blackberry curve

[ Edited ]

mullene was right! THIS WORKED:

If you have a numeric password, it probably is a alphabetical password on the computer, if you don't use ALT that is.

Example: if your password is -1234-on your phone without using ALT, it is -wers- on your computer.

~ much love & respect the earth ~