Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Desktop software error 2738

I'm getting an error 2738 while trying to install Desktop software 4.2.2 on a vista machine. . .any ideas? The error says, "Could not access VB Script runtime for custom action."
Regular Contributor

Re: Desktop software error 2738

In Vista the VBscipt.dll file, which is needed to install Desktop manager, is not registered by default.

To Register Bring up Command Prompt. Click on Start> Programs> accessories> Right Click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.

Once Command prompt is open type "regsvr32 vbscript.dll"  with out the quotes.

You should now be able to install Desktop Manager

New Contributor

Yes, That did the trick...thanks.

Now on to the next Vista v. BB issue. Vista has a new calendar and a new email address program (contacts). It sure doesn't seem as though BlackBerry has ever looked at a Vista machine.

Regular Contributor

none of the New Vista Apps (Windows Mail, Windows Contacts) are supported as of yet, and hard to tell if they ever will be.

Since I came across this message almost immediately from Google, I just thought I'd drop a note to the next guy that if you have Vista 64, you may also need to de-select the Media Manager during install.  Check out this knowledgebase article for details.  Worked like a charm for me, but now I have to go do a registry clean to complete the install... :smileysad: