Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
stevesberry
My Device: Not Specified

Desktop software has stopped recognising BB is connected?

My wife upgraded to a Blackberry 8900 Curve recently. I installed Desktop Manager 4.7 from the cd, connected the Blackberry (8900 Curve) and everything worked fine. I still had to sort out transferring the contacts from her old phone but my wife took the Blackberry to her work to "have a play with it!". When I went to transfer her contacts a couple of days later the Desktop Manager no longer recognises the Blackberry, no reaction what so ever from the Desktop Manager. The USB connection is good,  switch to mass storage mode and it downloads any photos etc. I have done hard resets on the BB, removed and reinstalled the software, including from the net. Personally speaking I am convinced my wife did something while she was playing with the Blackberry at work but I have no idea what. I'm running Windows XP with Desktop Manager 4.7.

Any suggestions as to how to resolve this incredibly frustrating problem would be greatly appreciated.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,979
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Desktop software has stopped recognising BB is connected?

Reboot the PC fresh from off and try it again. Make sure the USB cable is connect to a rear USB port on the PC, not a hub or front port.

Connect the BB to the USB. Give it a minute and then start Desktop Manager.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
stevesberry

The PC was shut down and rebooted. BB was rebooted. USB is connected to a known good port on the rear of the PC (every other USB device works without any problem).

Plugged the USB into the BB, no reaction from the PC other than the hour glass appears for the slightest fraction of a second. Before this problem arose the usual messages about something connected to the PC would appear, none of that now but if you switch the BB to mass storage mode any photos will download so the USB connection is good.

Open Desktop Manager, just shows disconnected whereas before it would show the device PIN at the bottom of the window and all options were available. I have even tried connecting with the PC anti virus and firewall disabled, waste of time! Something, I have no idea what, has changed stopping the software recognising the BB.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,979
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

ok, another question.

On the BlackBerry device, do you see the charging symbol on the screen on the battery icon?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
stevesberry

Yes, the phone does charge via the USB but Desktop Manager does not recognise the phone nor does the PC. The only reaction you get is if you switch to mass memory mode when it will download photos etc but nothing else.
Contributor
stevesberry

OK, now I am totally confused! I downloaded one of those driver check packages and it's telling me there's no driver for the Blackberry? There was to start with, it worked perfectly well, what the hell happened to the driver?!

Where do I go to download a suitable driver?

hutters

I suffer with loads of problems with my Curve 8900 and Desktop Manager 4.7 - it's so shocking and poor quality I can hardly believe it!

Anyway, I found that by having the keypad locked when I connected my Curve, via USB, to my computer it was not recognised.  If I did the same without the keypad locked it worked just fine, every time!

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

stevesberry wrote:

OK, now I am totally confused! I downloaded one of those driver check packages and it's telling me there's no driver for the Blackberry? There was to start with, it worked perfectly well, what the hell happened to the driver?!

Where do I go to download a suitable driver?

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&thread.id=3...
HOWTO : use your blackberry as a USB device

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: