Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
dep113
My Device: Not Specified

Destop Manager does not see Blackberry

I've been trying for two days to get Desktop Manager to see my Blackberry. I've read and followed all the step-by-step instructions I can find in the forum. Things I've tried: hard rebooting the Blackberry, uninstalling (completely - including the registry keys) and reinstalling the Desktop Manager, tried DM versions 4.2, 4.5 and 5. I've tried different USB cables, different USB ports, changed power management settings on all the ports. Sprinkled holy water on the PC (just kidding) -- all to no avail.

I've been using DM 5.0 with this Blackberry on this PC for a couple of weeks with no problem  -- until yesterday afternoon. It just ceased seeing the phone.

Help, please. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Destop Manager does not see Blackberry

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Wow...you really have tried everything...but, I can't tell if you've seen these...

Here is the list of troubleshooting KB's...hopefully something will be useful:

KB02640 Troubleshooting USB connections
KB15486 Top 10 BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager troubleshooting tips
KB11439 BlackBerry Desktop Software does not detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected
KB00019 No PIN displayed in BlackBerry Desktop Redirector

Apologies in advance if this is redundant -- there's no way to be sure if you've already seen and tried these.

Hopefully something there is helpful!

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dep113

I've been through each of those steps. No success. Just for the record... when I connect the BB to the PC through the USB cable, I see the "charging" symbol next to the battery indicator on the BB, I see that the BB is recognized by the PC (it is listed as "Blackberry Smartphone" under Universal Serial Bus controllers in the Device Manager, and I can see it in Windows Explorer as the E-drive. Still, the DTM shows "none" as divice connected. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both USB driver and DTM 5.0 yet again.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hmmm...if you've followed my (not posted here, but it sounds like you've seen them) very specific uninstall/reinstall instructions and the KB's above are not helpful, then I am tapped out. Sorry...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dep113

OK. Well, then I guess its time to say goodbye to Blackberry and hello to iPhone.

Thanks anyway.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Burnswattie
My Device: 8530 v5.0.0.782

I am having the same problem but with a twist. I have another laptop, which was the first machine I loaded DM on, and it works just fine. Both machines are windows 7, I have an 8530, purchased March '10. Bell advised me I MUST use DM v5.0. 6 will not work.

So.... 2 computers, same OS, same BB, same DM, same cables. However, on the laptop, it recognizes and cranks up IMMEDIATELY! On the desktop, no such luck.

On the desktop, I have  taken care to completely uninstall, then completely reinstall, following the instructions:

• "Be sure to install the desktop software first, then the handheld software on your computer. The handheld software will update the software on your BlackBerry Wireless Handheld(TM)"
  • Also I have been sure to install the correct handheld software, confirming the data with the status info on the BB.

The last time I tried this, it briefly read the BB and recognized the device, but it took 3-4 minutes. After that one time, it no longer did.

The ONLY variable here is the computer, so there must be some setting somewhere that prevents the DM from recognizing the device..............

From looking at posts through my device support, I can see we are not the only ones with this problem....   

Please use plain text.
    Hall of Famer II
    sdgardne

Burnswattie wrote:

I am having the same problem but with a twist. I have another laptop, which was the first machine I loaded DM on, and it works just fine. Both machines are windows 7, I have an 8530, purchased March '10. Bell advised me I MUST use DM v5.0. 6 will not work.

So.... 2 computers, same OS, same BB, same DM, same cables. However, on the laptop, it recognizes and cranks up IMMEDIATELY! On the desktop, no such luck.

On the desktop, I have  taken care to completely uninstall, then completely reinstall, following the instructions:

• "Be sure to install the desktop software first, then the handheld software on your computer. The handheld software will update the software on your BlackBerry Wireless Handheld(TM)"
  • Also I have been sure to install the correct handheld software, confirming the data with the status info on the BB.

The last time I tried this, it briefly read the BB and recognized the device, but it took 3-4 minutes. After that one time, it no longer did.

The ONLY variable here is the computer, so there must be some setting somewhere that prevents the DM from recognizing the device..............

From looking at posts through my device support, I can see we are not the only ones with this problem....   

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Have you tried the troubleshooting tips above? Since then, my list of those has expanded...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Tips-for-getting-BlackBerry-Deskt...
    KB02640 Troubleshooting USB connections
    KB15486 Top 10 BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager troubleshooting tips
    KB11439 BlackBerry Desktop Software does not detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected
    KB00019 No PIN displayed in BlackBerry Desktop Redirector
    KB10938 "USB charging current is insufficient" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone
    KB01451 How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails
    KB19717 The BlackBerry smartphone is not detected as a USB Mass Storage Device when connected to a computer
    KB16310 Media Transfer Protocol and the BlackBerry Storm smartphone
    http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Desktop-Manager-quot-disconnected...

Also, check that you are using only root USB ports...no hubs (sometimes the front-side ports are hubs...use a rear USB port). And make sure to try disabling USB power management in your system configuration (Device Manager).

Apologies in advance if this is redundant -- there's no way to be sure if you've already seen and tried these.

Hopefully something there is helpful!

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
    BSCF General Channel
    Knowledge Base Updates
    Please use plain text.