Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Device Manager blocks my desktop on startup

I'm having a problem with the device manager program.  I just bought a storm and after I installed the device manager I was prompted to restart my system.  I restarted and that's when the problem happened.  When my computer would restart all I could see was my desktop image.  No icons, no start button, no task bar.  The only thing I could do was open up Task Manager.  I found that after I shut down enough programs the desktop would finally appear.  I am running Windows XP Home.  Last night when I connected the blackberry to the device manager it screwed up my blackberry.  It slowed it down to a crawl.  I had to take it into a Verizon store this morning to get it reset because there was such a lag when I tried to do anything it was essentially worthless.

I would really like to use the device manager program so I can get the full use of my blackberry.  Any help would be very welcome.

EHS
New Contributor

Re: Device Manager blocks my desktop on startup

cvh3 --

I have exactly the same problem as you do -- my computer will fail to boot when I install a current version of the Desktop Manager software (either version 6 or 7). I am running Windows XP w/SP3, and the only way I can get my computer back is to run in safe mode, uninstall all the Blackberry related software. The minute I install the BB Desktop Manager, it will get just past the log in screen and then just sit there.

Before this weekend (and I spent the weekend on this, plus yesterday), I was running Desktop Manager version 5 with Roxio Media Manager (which I was using with my old Blackberry 7130). I had no problems, and after restoring my computer to last Thursday, it will now sync and media manage with my new Blackberry 8330 Curve, but I get the following errors in Event Manager within 3 seconds of starting Desktop Manager (v.5):

The description for Event ID ( 10000 ) in Source ( Desktop ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: [ExtensionManager::initialize_extension]. legacy extension initialize failed. WebLink.

The description for Event ID ( 10000 ) in Source ( Desktop ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: [ExtensionManager::acquire_connection] Extension requesting device connection. Synchronize.

The description for Event ID ( 10000 ) in Source ( Desktop ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: [ExtensionManager::extension_autostart] Extension start failed. Device Switch Wizard.

The description for Event ID ( 10000 ) in Source ( Desktop ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: [ExtensionManager::extension_autostart] Extension start failed. Backup and Restore.

The description for Event ID ( 10000 ) in Source ( Desktop ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: [ExtensionManager::acquire_connection] Extension requesting device connection. Device Options.

Without DM running, the Application and System logs are absolutely clean after repeated use and restarts, other than the usual events.

I found only one other Internet link to this situation: http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/143540-desktop-manager-errors-windows-...

And they do not seem to have a solution.

I suggest you try booting in Safe Mode, and check Event Manager and see if you have the same entries.

Let me know, because I'm at my wits end. It's working for me, but clearly creates a lot of error entries (it restarts every ten minutes with the same sequence, as long as Desktop Manager is open). And I certainly can't install the latest version of Desktop Manager -- or even reinstall version 5 -- tried that as well.

Contributor

I haven't tried getting into safe mode.  When the screen comes up blank (except for the background) I pull up Task Manager I found that I have to end all of the device manager programs, and then end the windows update program.  This brings me back to the regular screen.  I am going to try running the program on another computer and see what happens.  I wish I could find a way to report this problem to RIM but I can't find any contact information that doesn't require me to pay them to assist me in the product that I just bought from them.

On a seperate note I've started having problems with the actual handheld now (the storm).  I've contacted Verizon twice now.  If I keep having these problems then this will probably be the last blackberry I ever buy, and all of my friends that want to get one probably won't.  Great customer support RIM!

EHS
New Contributor

cvh3 --

Don't give up yet.

Mine won't even get past the blank background after the log-in -- at least you can kill the process in Task Manager. You may want to check out this thread -- people are responding with the same problem: http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/143540-desktop-manager-errors-windows-...

Have you checked your Event Info (go to Administrative Tools in Control Panel, then EventManager)? See if Desktop shows up.

Also, I went in on Friday to buy a Storm -- walked out with the Curve -- which is a very nice machine. If you're not happy with the Storm, try the Curve instead.

Good luck.

EHS
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

PROBLEM SOLVED

Regarding the above, apparently the issue was installing Desktop Manager while the anti-virus program was running (Kaspersky 2009). This probably prevented the files from being properly registered in the Windows XP registry, and also locked up the computer on reboot. I had turned off the A/V program, but only in Startup, not in Services as well.

Here is the correct install sequence:

1. Download the current version of Desktop Manager (I'm now fine with version 4.6, not even thinking about 4.7).

2. Turn off your A/V program in all locations (mine was in two locations -- Startup and Services). I actually uninstalled mine, but turning off should work.

3. Install Desktop Manager, set up your new Blackberry, then, when everything is running, turn your A/V program back on (or, in my case, reinstall it with a new version).

4. All the issues with events (code 1000) in Event Manager are gone.

5. There are two other things that cropped up with Desktop Manager 4.6 (which you can also see in Event Manager when you look), and which also slowed down my computer's boot (by two minutes of "hang" time):

-- the new version of Desktop Manager likes to re-enable Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (which I had disabled), and Roxio (the DM Media Manager) loads UPnP Services (all of them set to automatic). Between these two services, the boot would hang for a couple of minutes.
-- I disabled Windows MPNS Service again, and also set the Roxio programs to "manual". The boot is nice and crisp now.

6. Everything seems to be working. The OS system on the Blackberry 8330 has been fully updated, sync with Desktop Manager 4.6 runs fine, I've installed a couple of third-party programs (like BB411), Bluetooth and my external mini-keyboard works, database backup works, and Roxio Media Manager also works fine. In short, I don't see any problems.

Now for a full backup of the computer.

Have a good Thanksgiving, everyone!

EDIT***

Here are a couple of screenshots of my Event Manager Ffles now:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd285/EHSNYC/Untitled-2b.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd285/EHSNYC/Untitled-1b.jpg

These are two boots 3.5 hours apart. Notice the load times (after Userenv to Windows Search Service) -- about ten (seconds) -- not bad.

Message Edited by EHS on 11-26-2008 11:32 PM
Contributor

I'm glad that worked for you but it doesn't explain my problem.  I don't have an anti-virus right now.  I'm starting to think that it may just be my computer is old and dying.  I'm not sure why it would pick this program, and not another that takes up more memory and processing power like Photoshop, but it still doesn't want to work.  I've noticed since installing Device Manager, and then uninstalling it my computer has become more unstable.  I'm starting to think that I will have to wipe my computer and start over just to get it running correctly again.  Maybe that will allow device manager to work as well. 
Highlighted
EHS
New Contributor

cvh3 --

I just edited my post above with some images of my Event Manager -- that's what it looks like now.

Do you have any anti-malware  software running? Like Spybot with TeaTimer, for example?

Anything that would lock out changes to your registry by Desktop Manager?