Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
kimmiekav
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Device Switch Copies Talk Time ?

Morning,

I was just wondering if anyone has come across this issue as I was trying to return a Pearl that I'd purchased on Friday last week and the store policy states that within 15 days & under 15 mins of talk time they will take back a phone.  When I went into the store to do so they said I had over 7 hrs of talk time on the pearl that I'd just purchased.  Well after much frustration and calls to my carrier they allowed me to purchase the new Curve.  At the end of the whole ordeal the store manager wanted me to ensure the new phone had 0 mins of talk time and lo and behold after they'd performed the data switch from the pearl to the curve it showed the 7 hrs of talk time on the Brand New curve.  They did not know and neither did I that the Device Switch procedure that we'd originally done from an old Curve to the Pearl had copied my 7 hrs of talk time from my original curve and it's carried over to the pearl and now to the new curve. 

Needless to say it causes much frustration to anyone who is trying to return a phone and the store's policy is such as mine.  Anyone who doesn't know about this little glitch in the device switch are going to encounter this problem.  Sorry for the long expaination but I'm still frustrated that I spent almost 2 hrs arguing with the store about an issue that's clearly not valid.  Is there a way to prevent copying the talk time from phone to phone ?

Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Device Switch Copies Talk Time ?

How did they perform the data switch? Using the Switch Device Wizard in the Desktop Manager?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor
kimmiekav

Hi,

Yes it was the Device Switch on the Desktop Manager.  They did it for me instore.

Elite I
jmrmb80

Hmmm.

Does your device have a SIM card? Did they swap your old SIM card into the new device, then use the Switch Device Wizard? I don't think there's an option to control what is brings over.

If you were just worried about getting for messages, etc over, then they could've used the Backup and Restore feature to backup for device data. Then they could've plugged the new one in, went back into Backup and Restore, then hit the Advanced button. From there they can selectively transfer over you Messages, Calendar, Address Book, etc.

I'm not sure which database contains the talk time or if that's just stored in memory, but selectively copying just the databases you need as described above shouldn't copy the talk time.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
New Contributor
kimmiekav

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure what they actually did but all they said they did was the Device Switch and copied my entire contents from one phone to the next.  I don't have a SIM card either.  They didn't know about the talk time issue until I came across it so they were stunned that it happened as well.  The new phone was at "0" but after the device switch was done my talk time has now carried over from the original Curve to the Pearl to the brand new curve so it now shows over 7 hrs of talk time and it just came out of the box at "0"...we made sure it was "0" before the did anything.

Elite I
jmrmb80

Ah. I was thinking they wanted the phone reset to 0. So everything is ok now? Or now that you have the new device, do you want to reset the timer?

If you go into your Phone/Call Log, hit the menu key, and choose Status. From in there if you hit the menu button again, can you choose to clear the timers?

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

If you go into green button, view history, and click menu status, it will show the total number of minutes used from the last clear.  Hit the menu key and choose clear all timers.

Thanks

If you need more info please ask!  If not please resolve the thread using the options by the Kudos’ star, Just place the check in the Post that answered your question, Thanks  
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Guru I
Bifocals

I reading more on the device switch wizard it does a COMPLETE device backup and then transfers to the new

phone. This would tell me the call logs are copied as well.

Hope this helps!

If you need more info please ask!  If not please resolve the thread using the options by the Kudos’ star, Just place the check in the Post that answered your question, Thanks  

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor
kimmiekav

Thank you both....I've cleared all my timers and will let the store know that they'll need to tell everyone who they do that for that they'll need to clear their timers as well.
Guru I
Bifocals

Thanks,

Please take a second and resolve the thread,

Thanks