Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
MPlb
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Device software log files

Are there any log files created when you perform a device software update using the BB Desktop Manager?

I've searched my PC for anything with the date of the upgrade but cannot find anything relating to this.

Any ideas where these logs (if they actually exist) are stored?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Device software log files

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Are you looking for logs of the installation from the Desk Manager, the Blackberry, or both?

I have loader backup files as well as .alx files from backing up 3rd party apps that correspond to

my last upgrade. I always mark the .ipd file (bkuppre5.0load.ipd) for example.

Tell me how exactly you updated and I can think of more places to look. ALso what specifically are

you looking for?

Let us know how is goes!

Thanks,

Bifocals

Late edit: I found this in the Technical database.

It only helps for next time though!

KB10667 Desktop Manager creates directories without write permissions

One other spot. On the PC go to docunents and settings, your name, applications, temp.

I run a clan program nightly, but you may have some temp file that can place the install.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MPlb

Hi Bifocals Here's what happened to a colleague...

They got an email from BlackBerry stating that there was 'new software' available. He fired up the upgrade from the link in the email which took him to the auto-update website where he clicked on the upgrade button.

This launched his BB Desktop Manager and started the procedure. After it download and installing the latest software his BB restarted (after the usual longish wait) but nothing was restored from it's previous state.

I can't find any 'loader' backup files anywhere on his PC or anything resembling log files regarding the upgrade and what was actually done.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

[ Edited ]

"They got an email from BlackBerry stating that there was 'new software' available. He fired up the upgrade from the link in the email which took him to the auto-update website where he clicked on the upgrade button. This launched his BB Desktop Manager and started the procedure. After it download and installing the latest software his BB restarted (after the usual longish wait) but nothing was restored from it's previous state. I can't find any 'loader' backup files anywhere on his PC or anything resembling log files regarding the upgrade and what was actually done."

Hi,

Go to the root directory of C: start a search for .ipd file make sure you search all subdirectories and hidden files.

I need to check on document while you look. Please specify the device OS and the model Blackberry.

FYI, just for the record, I suggest a manual full backup before any OS upgrades, third party additions, and change to

the device.

Back in 5

Bifocals

Web_based_upgrade

Desktop Manager

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MPlb

Hi

I already searched and could not find any ipd files on any of the local drives or even his network drives.

It is a Curve 8310.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

[ Edited ]

"Please specify the device OS and the model Blackberry."

Thanks for the model how about the device OS.

I left a link for both Desktop and web-based upgrades, there are backups allowed for.

Were you running App world, and do you have Outlook with an common email address between

the BB and device?

Thanks,

Bifocals

8310 UserGuide

:About upgrading the BlackBerry Device Software
You can upgrade the BlackBerry® Device Software over the wireless network, or if you have installed the BlackBerry® Desktop Software
on your computer, you can upgrade the BlackBerry Device Software using the application loader tool of the BlackBerry® Desktop
Manager. For more information about upgrading using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, see the BlackBerry Desktop Software Online
Help.
When a BlackBerry Device Software upgrade is available for you to download over the wireless network, a Wireless Upgrade icon appears
on the Home screen. The available upgrade might be a complete software upgrade or a software update only. If the available upgrade is
a complete software upgrade, your BlackBerry device data is backed up and restored over the wireless network during the installation
process.
The duration of the upgrade process can range from 15 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the type of upgrade, the amount of device data,
and the number of applications on your device. You can use your device when you download the software, but you cannot use your device
or make emergency calls when you install the software.
For more information, contact your wireless service provider or administrator.
Prerequisites: Upgrading the BlackBerry Device Software over the wireless network
• Verify that your BlackBerry® device is connected to the wireless network.
• Verify that the battery power level is 50 percent or higher.
• If you have installed the BlackBerry® Desktop Software on your computer, verify that your device is not connected to your computer.
Upgrade the BlackBerry Device Software
You can use your BlackBerry® device when you download BlackBerry® Device Software but not when you install the software.
If content protection is turned on, you might need to type your password at various times during the installation process.
1. On the Home screen, click the Wireless Upgrade icon.
2. Complete the instructions on the screen.
Note: During the installation process, your device might reset multiple times.
Return to the previous version of the BlackBerry Device Software
You can only return to the previous version of the BlackBerry® Device Software within 30 days of upgrading the software.
1. In the device options, click Advanced Options.
2. Click Wireless Upgrade.
3. Click Previous upgrade succeeded.
4. Click Downgrade.:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MPlb

I believe that  he clicked on the 'Update Now' link in the email he received which took him to:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/update/

He then clicked 'Check for Updates' button which launched his DTM (v5.0.1) which went off and did it's thing. To make things worse when the device came back to life it was as if it was fresh out of the box. Nothing was restored (data or settings) so I'm guessing that for whatever reason there was no automatic backup taken prior to the OS upgrade.

Luckily I had a backup of his device from a few days ago so I was able to get most everything back.

It would just be interesting (for future reference) to know where any logs files for these procedures are stored.

Thanks for everything...

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

A friend with an current .ipd file is a friend who stands to make some serious money!:smileyvery-happy:

I am much to "hands on" to attempt the web upgrade. I need to have the software on my PC.

Anyway, look below at the user guide. Check his memory card.

The data should have been backed up and restored. If that's the case the PC would not have the files.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MPlb

Me too! I never do automatic upgrades as I prefer to take a manual backup beforehand...

Hopefully a lesson has been learnt...

Thanks for all the info...

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Thanks I'm glad you figured it out.

Please resolve the post so other can get your answer faster.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Please use plain text.