Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

VoxCLaMantis
My Device: BlackBerry Pearl
My Carrier: Sprint

Does Any Program Exist to Harvest Emails from Backups Created by BlackBerry Desktop Manager?

[ Edited ]

I have switched from a BlackBerry Pearl to an iPhone, but I still have probably 40 backups, covering a period of two years, containing emails, some of them not duplicated in Outlook or Google mail.  I would like to harvest those emails from the backup files and move them directly into Outlook or Google.  I have wasted hours with Sprint (my provider) and BlackBerry support and the consensus is that BlackBerry/RIM doesn't make anything that will do the job.  Their suggested solution is to reactivate the BlackBerry (at my cost, of course), restore each backup in turn, and identify and forward the relevant emails to myself.  Because I'm not searching for a new hobby, that doesn't meet my definition of a solution.  Is there a software solution to this mess? 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Does Any Program Exist to Harvest Emails from Backups Created by BlackBerry Desktop Manager?

Hi and Welcome to the Community -- and apologies for the delayed reply!

There are apps to get you partway to what you desire...there are apps that will parse the backup files and present them in a human-readable format, from which you can then cut/paste whatever you desire. To my understanding there are free apps to do so for both the older (*.IPD) as well as newer (*.BBB) backup files...some google searching should provide what you need (e.g., search on "IPD Reader", etc.).

But, that indeed only get's you part of the way...I know of no app to do all that you are asking for (full automated harvesting). But at least you can know that the backup files can be read on your computer without the need to reactivate the device and restore the backups.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.