Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
WarrenD
My Device: Z10

Re: Easy guide to troubleshooting the Desktop Manager

Thanks for the easy step guide to solving Desktop Manager connection issues. however, it has not helped me with a unique problem regarding my Desktop Manager. I am using a Curve 8310 which is successfully connected by USB and recognized by the Blackberry Device Manager to my Windows XP HP laptop. This is also confirmed with the Windows Device Manager.

When I open the Desktop Manager, I get a message telling me to ensure my Blackberry is connected. No menus are accessible, certainly not the "detect" option. I have tried hard and soft resets, full uninstall and re-install of the Desktop Manager numerous times, all to no avail.

This is a very irritating problem and I have spent far too much time on it already. The main irritation is that it has been working for two years, now all of a sudden it stops working. Can you help?

Thanks very much.

New Contributor
catberry
My Device: Curve 8520

I'm having a problem as well.  I have a Curve 8520.  My PC is an HP Pavilion Media Center.  I have itunes installed on my PC.  When I installed the Blackberry Desktop Manager the first time, I didn't check the Media Sync option.  I connected to the Desktop Manager without any problem.  When I later tried to launch the media manager, it actually pulled up my itunes lists, but then the Desktop Manager showed "Disconnected" and indicated that my device couldn't be detected.    I did a clean uninstall of all Blackberry settings and reinstalled the Desktop Manager, this time checking the Media Sync option.  When the reinstallation was completed, it was once again able to detect my Curve.  Everything was fine until I tried to launch the Media Sync.  The Manager suddenly stopped being able to detect my Curve.  I exited the Media Sync, unplugged my Curve and then plugged it back in. Still wasn't detected.  Did another uninstall of all Blackbery products and settings and reinstalled.  Did this three times.  I'm back to square one.  Thanks for any help!

Catberry

New Contributor
oposky2006
My Device: Not Specified

anyway, thanks, it is useful for me

Contributor
jazzsue
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330

I bought a blackberry pearl flip this week, installed the software. It worked fine the first time. It detected my phone right away. Later, I tried it and it did not detect it. I took it to the service center 3 times and they couldn't get it to work either. I uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times myself, they did once. No luck. I then did a clean reinstall and a hard reset on my phone and still no change. I do want to mention that the media manager works great. I transferred photos and music to my phone with no problem.

I notice a lot of users here have the same problem. My question is, why is Blackberry not doing anything about this issue?

Any help PLEASE!!!

I had rather be hated for who I am than be loved for who I am not.
New Contributor
catberry

Hi jazzsue -

How did you get the media manager to work if the software didn't recognize your phone?  Is there away around the desktop manager I can try to download my music and photos?  My attempts to use the media manager have always resulted in no recognition of my phoneby the software.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me.  Thanks!

catberry

Contributor
jazzsue

[ Edited ]

Hi. All I did was click on the media manager tab and it opened up. It still was not recognizing my phone, but it worked for me anyway. I didn't use the Desktop[ manager though. I went into all programs and opened the Blackberry program and from the drop down menu ,clicked on media manager. It opened and worked fine. Try it that way and see if that helps.

I did call Blacberry and talked with someone in sales. I told him that their software was not working and there were a lot of consumers having problems with it. He was surprised at that. I asked if he ever went to the forums and he said they were not allowed to go there. I then told him that it might be a good idea if someone from Blackberry did and see all the problems people were having. I told him I was not the only one with problems and said that Blackberry should listen to their customers and do something about fixing the problems. People are going to shy away from Blackberries if something wasn't done.

I wish you luck.

By the way, I took my computer in to see if there was a problem with it. I went to the Geek Squad and when told them the problem, they in turn told me just about every one is having problems the software. I was told that the software was basically bad and people were always having problems with it. They then told me I didn't have to have it if the phone was working okay. The computer still recognizes the phone even if the program did not.

New Contributor
catberry

jazzsue -  That is interesting.  I'll try it later tonight.  I have seen a number of complaints about the software here and elsewhere.  I wonder if anybody with BlackBerry monitors these threads.  I guess it's difficult because there are so many of them.  I hope they fix it soon.

Thanks for your helpful response!

catberry

Contributor
jazzsue

I hope this works for you like it did for me.

jazzsue

Contributor
jazzsue

Hi. I created a new user account on my computer, installed the software and it works now for me.

Try and see if that helps.

mytemike
My Device: Curve 8330

There is an entrely different solution. There is a "program" or setting file on the computer in the blackberry folder that has to be removed to regain connection with the fone. Problem is, we seem to have forgotten what it is. Used to have to remove it about every other connection. Then didn't need to for awhile. Now need to know what it is. Anyone?