Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
Naewen
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Getting Blackberry Device Manager to display USB-PIN

My Blackberry Bold 9000 is not being recognized by my desktop's blackberry device manager.  After hours of playing around trying to resolve this issue, here is what information I can provide.

My desktop and laptop both run Vista 64-bit.  I had no issues installing the desktop manager on my laptop, and the cable, updating process, etc. all work fine.  I believe this enables me to isolate the desktop, and not the device or cable. The Desktop Manager software is all up to date on both systems.

When I attempt to get the Blackberry Device Manager to recognize my device on my desktop, in the Connection options table under Connection, only COM1 is displayed, with state Disable shown.  USB-Blackberry 9000 (PIN#) is shown on the laptop.  I have hunted around these boards, and google for a solution to this problem, but I haven't found one yet.  Under the Windows Device Manager, "Blackberry Smartphone" is listed under USB Controllers when the device is plugged in, and the drivers are up to date as per instructions on these boards.

All USB ports function for operation of keyboard, mouse, and external storage.  I have attempted to connect the device to all six USB ports on the back and two in the front of my desktop, with no result.  When the device is connected to my desktop, Windows recognizes the Smartphone and SD card separately as mass storage devices - with the phone's mass storage device option turned on or off.

I have a feeling this would be resolved if I could get the Blackberry Device Manager to display a USB port instead of COM1.  Does anyone have any solutions?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Getting Blackberry Device Manager to display USB-PIN

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Here is the list of troubleshooting atricles...hopefully something will be useful:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Tips-for-getting-BlackBerry-Deskt...
KB02640 Troubleshooting USB connections
KB15486 Top 10 BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager troubleshooting tips
KB11439 BlackBerry Desktop Software does not detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected
KB00019 No PIN displayed in BlackBerry Desktop Redirector
KB10938 "USB charging current is insufficient" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone
KB01451 How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails

Also, check that you are using only root USB ports...no hubs (sometimes the front-side ports are hubs...use a rear USB port). And make sure to try disabling USB power management in your system configuration (Device Manager).

Apologies in advance if this is redundant -- there's no way to be sure if you've already seen and tried these.

Hopefully something there is helpful!

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Naewen

Hello, and thank you for the quick reply.

I just finished working through the links, and nothing has worked.  One issue I have noticed that keeps cropping up is the USB Mass Storage Device recognition.  Mass Storage mode is turned off on the phone, but when the phone is connected via USB to my desktop, two mass storage devices appear (phone and SD card) regardless of phone configuration.  I follow the instructions in KB10938 for disabling this mode, and it doesn't work.  The instructions in the rest of the links were followed as far as possible given the problem, and nothing has worked.

The device is connected to USB1 or 2, USB2.0 root ports.  USB power management is disabled across the board.  I also want to emphasize that I have reinstalled the software (twice) with clean uninstallations.  This is quite baffling, considering I have never had a USB-related issue before on this desktop.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
prot0fein
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900

Hey here is my solution... this worked perfectly for me, and oddly enough it was a fix for VMWare (also having trouble detecting USB devices)

Try right clicking on one of the USB hubs (in device manager) and looking at the driver details. If usbfilter.sys is listed then open your Registry Editor, and browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} and delete the UpperFilter, usbfilter pair.

I rebooted after making this change, and it works great now.  Its the first time in months that I've been able to plug my Curve 8900 using my USB cable into my Windows Vista (now Windows 7) 64-bit PC.

KUDO's to the VMWare people for finding this solution.  Thank god it also fixed my BB Desktop Manager!! WOOT WOOT!!

Here is a link where I found this solution

http://bx.businessweek.com/consumer-arbitration/view?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunities.vmware.com%2Fmessa...

Merry Christmas everyone :smileyhappy:

Did ya miss me??
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Naewen

Wow, I would give you a gold star if I could. Not only did this fix the problem, it also resolved a long-time data corruption and transfer latency issue (that did not come to mind before) that prohibited me from using thumb/flash drives with my desktop. Thanks a million!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
prot0fein
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900

Haha i'm glad I could help :smileyhappy:

I would have never stumbled across that if it wasn't for VMWare.  I'm surprised that this wasn't found sooner by someone... if it was, google sure couldn't find it lol

Cheers everybody,

Did ya miss me??
Please use plain text.