Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
allanrobb
My Device: BB Torch OS7.1 Model 9860

Getting contacts from IMac Address Book to Torch 9680

Hello, I have a brand new phone and same issue. My contacts on my phone and iMac are not synching up.I had hoped moving from OS 6 to OS7 and then OS7.1 might solve the problem, but still , the phone and IMac contacts are not syncing up.

Background/ Procedures thus far :

I connect the Torch 9680 OS7.1  to my IMac with OSX 10.6.8 running Address Book 5.0 (833)

I have wireless synch turned off on my phone contact list options

I set the Desktop software to 2 way sync. I push the sync button...the icon twirls around...

Contacts on my phone do not go to my computer Address Book program. and visa versa

On my phone I have 3 contact lists( probably because at one time, I worked for a company with a BES and changed phones a couple of times, upgraded actually) or maybe because the company got sold and we all changed email addresses and IT admins.

Currently on my phone I have the following contact lits shown under Options..:

Contact #1  : my hotmail account   420 entries

Desktop #2   137 entries

Desktop again  709 entries.

These contacts are very valuable data to me. How can get them all synched into one address book on my computer and on my phone without having to resort to emailing each and every contact to my imac as a .vcf file ?  Thanks  in advance.   I might add ,that i do know people who have just left this  device platform because they wre unable to resolve this matter.

Do you have a band or artist you want to promote ? For new music and music news, visit www.soundnebula.com/blog
SoundNebula is the BlackBerry App for SoundCloud with BBM built in !
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
allanrobb

Re: Getting contacts from IMac Address Book to Torch 9680

First, I would like to thank BlackBerry Technical Suppor for assisting me to work through this. The long and shot of this situation is that if your BlackBerry contains multiple contact lists, then there MAY appear to be a problem

The essence of the issue is by default, the Device has a Default contact list that it uses to sync with Address Book.

The short story here is : to keep all your contacts on your Device and Address Book in sync, merge all of your contact lists into one one list. This does not prevent using Groups etc. but it does ensure contacts 2Way sync works.

Merging contact lists can be achieved a number of ways : Use Microsoft Outlook. or upload contact lists to a gmail account and use the Merge function there. Once contacts are Merged , export them from Gmail as a .vcf file bakc to Address Book on your Mac.   The steps to be taken will vary by device and the number of contact lists on your device.

Do you have a band or artist you want to promote ? For new music and music news, visit www.soundnebula.com/blog
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
allanrobb

Here is the key to the solution of this problem.  Thanks to Neil in BlackBerry Technical Support !

KB19704: Multiple Address Book contact lists are created on a BlackBerry smartphone causing issues with synchronization
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB19704

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
allanrobb

I used workaround #3 to extract all the contacts to Outlook and then exported the .CSV. Then uploaded all of this to Google Gmail, ,merged all the addresses and then exported from Gmail as a .vcf file. Then imported the .vcf file into Address book.

After doing a Partial back up of my Torch with everything except the Address books, I wiped the phone. Then I restorted the phone with the partial backup. Then I synched the phone to Address Book using BlackBerry Desktop software. Voiila, 2 years of head scratching solved.

Thank again to Neil at BlackBerry Tech Support !

Please use plain text.