Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
Cheers302
My Device: Not Specified

HELP! All phone contacts deleted

I just downloaded the new Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac to sync my blackberry to my computer. When I plugged in the USB and selected two-way sync for my contacts the desktop manager deleted all of my contacts. I don't have them backed up anywhere (that was why I was trying to sync to my computer). Please help me get my contacts back!
New Contributor
fairmeadow

Re: HELP! All phone contacts deleted

I was lucky enough to have contacts backed up 2 days previously.  

There's a KB article 353555 that seems to be about this.  Very helpfully it ends with the phrase 'no workround'.  I guess this doesn't help much at the moment, but maybe someone, somewhere is working on it.

So, was this product actually tested to do what most of us want it to do?  It appears not.  Certainly if this was a known issue it seems amazing that it was released without embedded warnings. 

New Contributor
Cheers302

Thanks for the help. Where can I find KB article 353555? Is there a support line you can call that is free? It seems ridiculous that there is no way to speak to an expert about issues you are having with your blackberry...
New Contributor
fairmeadow

Doing a search on the site (I don't remember the search terms) I came across this, which seems to be an internal document as it says "For RIM and BlackBerry partner use only." (if the link doesn't work enter 353555 in the search on the Blackberry Technical Solution Center tab).  And I can find no way of actually contacting a support person directly - can someone tell us how to do this?

It includes:

If you switch from synchronizing all contacts to selected groups, without selecting any group, contacts are being deleted from your device.

Impact: On your device, contacts that were synchronized using the “All contacts and groups” option are deleted. All contacts remain on your computer. Workaround: None.

Home 2, Work 2 and Other phone numbers are deleted from your device after changing a contact in Entourage and synchronizing; these numbers appear under different phone labels in Entourage and Apple Address Book.

Impact: The phone numbers are under different labels in Entourage (Work/Home and Work 2/Home 2) and Apple Address Book (work/home), and missing from your device. Workaround: After the phone numbers are deleted from your device, you can restore these numbers:

1. Rename the custom fields in the Apple Address Book (Home Phone 2 to home, Work Phone 2 to work).

2. Synchronize your contacts again. 

A duplicate entry is created in Entourage and the Apple address book after adding a Last Name for the contacts in the device and synchronizing.

Impact: There should only be one entry after synchronization. Workaround: None.

Your contact’s PIN number is deleted from the contacts list on your device after changing the contact entry in Entourage.

Impact: Your contact’s PIN number is deleted after changing any field in Entourage. Workaround: None.

Your contact’s picture in the Apple Address Book is not lossless when you synchronize with BlackBerry Desktop Manager using the safer sync option.

Impact: Your contact’s picture has been modified with a lower resolution after synchronization. Workaround: In BlackBerry Desktop Manager, click Device Options and select the faster sync option.

The “Display type” field is changed after synchronizing contacts again.

Impact: “Display type” field is changed automatically. Workaround: None.

With Entourage, if you have two work and home phone numbers on your computer, only one of them is synchronized.

Impact: You only have one work and home number after synchronizing. Workaround: None. Add number in Apple Address book.

BlackBerry Desktop Manager might become unresponsive if Entourage is configured to be synchronized with .Mac and both perform a background sync.

Impact: Performance is impacted. Workaround: None. 

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=http--docsbl...

New Contributor
Cheers302

The link worked. It sounds like my contacts are lost forever. Thanks for the help.
adw208
My Device: curve 9300

JUST DID THIS EXACT SAME THING. I realize that you  may have already moved on, but since there may be others searching on here for answers to the exact same problem (which is what I did with no success as you did) I figured I would post what I FINALLY TRIED and did to RECOVER ALL OF MY CONTACTS. If you use gmail, download the gmail software GOOGLE SYNC to your blackberry. You can do this online via a search for GOOGLE SYNC and select to have the software sent to you via text in a link.  Once you receive the text, click the hotlink at the end of the txt and it will lead to a prompt to sync the CONTACTS and CALENDAR from gmail(it offered to sync my calendar but was unsuccessful) to your bberry. Once I did this (it appears as a bberry icon of a circle with a cursive g in the center on your bberry) and sync your CONTACTS all of mine magically reappeared -EVEN the cell phone #'s I had in my berry that had no emails attached that I had never saved as a contact to my gmail. TAD SPOOKY...don't know how this worked...BUT IT DID! Good Luck. 

veelee
My Device: 9700

Thanks! That totally worked...You're a life saver, I managed to recover all my contacts on my blackberry following your google sync steps even when it was on a sim card that was no longer in service...

Developer
swayamism
My Device: Non-BlackBerry User

Great help!
pat335
My Device: bold 9900

So I tried this but unfortunately it only synced my existing gmail contacts (emails only). The same one's you can view in your email by selecting the contacts tab at the top left.

Am I doing it wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

roy_cooper
My Device: Blackberry Curve

I know at this time that you don't want to think about loosing your contacts for good. But I did and this is what I did.

May not help you but then someone else may find this helpful.

Having lost over 5 years of contacts when my 'faithful' phone with sim card was stolen, I wanted a way to allow anyone with my mobile number (which is now defunct) to make contact with me. I have a new number now, but no one know it.
So I built a website, www.renewcontact.com where anyone can register a phone number and have it linked to an active email address.
It means that my old contacts can go there, search for my number and send me an email with their contact details. I can then decide whether I want to respond or not, after all, there will be some contacts whom I don't want to renew contact with.
Anyone in the same situation as I was, may like to go there and register their phone number.
Since I launched it, quite a few have made use of the free service.
Some are also registering really old phone numbers, that have long been dead, hoping I guess that friends from the past will find them and renew contact.
I hope this site is of use to many.