Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: wind
Accepted Solution

HOW TO OPEN A BBB FILE ?

I simply want to back up my contact list should i lose my phone. I back up into a bbb file and i cannot open ?

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: HOW TO OPEN A BBB FILE ?

The desktop manager is used to manage bbb files.

http://us.blackberry.com/software/desktop.html

There are some other programs that can open bbb files, but i recommend you use the desktop manager.

I highly recommend you also use blackberry protect so you can backup your files online.  The link for it is in my signature.  Blackberry protect can also track your phone if its is lost and still turned on. 

How do i find my contacts on the desktop software  ? When i "back up " it immediately go's to a bbb file on my PC . i am unable to see them on the software. The software is useless to me if i cannot see my contacts ?

Forums Veteran III

The BBB file is a proprietary format that the desktop manager uses.

If you want to see the data, you can use another program, but I can't guarantee the results.

http://download.cnet.com/BlackBerry-Backup-Extractor/3000-2242_4-75446887.html

is an example of one, but if the desktop manager says the backup is complete, there isn't a need to view whats inside the file.  You can give that program a try though. 

Magicberry is another.

http://download.cnet.com/MagicBerry/3000-10743_4-10962130.html

I still recommend you use blackberry protect too.

My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

There are a couple of options for extracting and viewing data from a the backup files.

1. The IPD Parse macro is designed to read a Blackberry IPD file and create reports in MSWord or MSExcel. It is free, and you can find out more here: https://sites.google.com/site/ipdparse/home
For .bbb backup files, use this macro to extract seven "primary" IPD files (Address Book, Calendar, SMS Messages, Tasks, Memos, PIN Messages and Phone Call Logs)
IPD bbb Extract macro https://sites.google.com/site/ipdbbbextract
These IPD files can subsequently be used as inputs to the other macro, IPD Parse, to produce reports.

2. Another options is MagicBerry from MenaStep... which extract from a backup IPD or BBB file, split IPD files, etc. http://menastep.com/pages/magicberry.php

3. Another IPD and BBB file utility is BlackBerry Backup Extractor, and is available for PC and Mac, and can be found here: http://www.blackberryconverter.com/ There is a free and paid version.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Solutions: 6,112
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You can also sync to Outlook or Windows Contacts to view your contact data.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

And another option is to simply sync your data to Outlook or another compatible program. Or, if you use an email service like Hotmail/Outlook, Gmail or Yahoo, you can set your contacts to sync with the server, so you have them regardless of what device you're using.

(LOL, beat by JSanders on the Outlook suggestion!)

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

I have used the blackberry protect app to back up my contact data

Once again ..

How can i view my bbery contact list on my PC ?? Their is nothing that i can open to show my contacts on blackberry protect ?

Forums Veteran III

Not with blackberry protect, but you can use the tools jsanders listed in order to view the data on the computer.

I don't use outlook . i just have hotmail and a business email ( gmail cloud server )

So once again ..as i can't find a way to view the bbb file or view it on blackberry protect .

How ..steps please .. do i view my contact list on my PC ??.I had a nokia and it was simple .This is ridiculous

many thanks