Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: HOW TO OPEN A BBB FILE ?

PearlGem, if you'll actually read this thread before stating it doesn't work, you'll find solutions, much like the others who have posted in this thread.

Of course, you haven't yet even stated what it is you're trying to gain from extracting the backup... that would certainly help.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
m2singh
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

I have a similer problem, but with a few key differences.

I had a Blackberry Torch 9800.  It has died on me (the phone cannot escape a continuous re-starting loop).

Luckily, I had backed up my phone a few months prior.  The backup is saved in .bbb format.  I would like to know how I can extract it to get (primarily) the following information saved in that backup file:

1. Contacts

2. Memos

3. Notes

4. Password Keeper

5. Texts

6. BBM Contacts

I appreciate any help.

JSanders

m2singh wrote:

I have a similer problem, but with a few key differences.

I had a Blackberry Torch 9800.  It has died on me (the phone cannot escape a continuous re-starting loop).

Luckily, I had backed up my phone a few months prior.  The backup is saved in .bbb format.  I would like to know how I can extract it to get (primarily) the following information saved in that backup file:

1. Contacts

2. Memos

3. Notes

4. Password Keeper

5. Texts

6. BBM Contacts

I appreciate any help.

Scroll up to message 5 in this thread, or click here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Desktop-Software-for-PC/HOW-TO-OPEN-A-BBB-FILE/m-p/2091441#M3...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
m2singh
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

Unfortunately, my saved Blackberry files are in .bbb format, so ipdparse option does not work.

The ipdbbbextract option appeared promising, but it creates files that are unreadable by any program recognized by my computer.

MagicBerry from MenaStep won't allow me to register (which is required before I can download it's software).

That leaves blackberryconverter which is not actually free - you get 5 entries for free, and then have to pay for the paid version to extract and view the rest.

Any other options?

JSanders

None that I now of.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
Spamlet
My Device: Curve 9300

Hi all.

This might come a bit late in the thread, but I've been trying out a number of options today:

MagicBerry, doesn't like a lot of bbb files, and gets totally the wrong dates for the calender;
The one with all the macros, is a bit of a fiddle, and I couldn't dee what I could do with the output xls files other than read them;
The Amrak, free thing doesn't seem to do very much, and most of the toolbar is just different ways to contact Amrak.  The five rows it would let me see, look accurate enough, but there wasn't much to do with them.  Exporting as ics creates a new file for every row, which looks a pain, and I still don't know how to import them into my Thunderbird calender add on;
Then there's the all singing all dancing Elcomsoft Blackberry Backup Explorer.  This has a fine layout and many functions, and it got all my dates right, but you soon get stuck without paying rather a lot to get the full functionality.  On the other hand, if you have the free programmes SysExporter, and GetWindowText, you can, at least copy the info from the main window with the first, and from the pop up windows with the second.  For just reading the info off your bbb files, I don't think EBBE is going to be beat.  I only got stuck when I searched for email from one contact, and then found I couldn't get back to the all mail view, but it's easy to just open the files again.

Unless anyone knows of any more progs, I'll be settling for EBBE, and if I was going to be hacking phones for a living this one would be worth forking out for.

Of course, it would be much better if BBDTM wasn't a huge space hogging programme that does next to nothing.  It is quite astonishing, the size of it, when it doesn't even do as much as my first Nokia's software, ten or 15 years ago.

palimadra
My Device: 8520

Works like a charm. Excellent work, Thanks,
meganmane
My Device: Z10

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have am unable to operate my old blackberry and thus am relialant on my backup file on my computer for all of my company contacts and memos. I was wondering if you could help me extract this so that I could transfer it to my Samsung 5S. I appreciate any advice on handling this situation as well.

You may also reach me at [removed personal information].

Kind regards,

Megan Mane

Contributor
Spamlet
My Device: Curve 9300

Hi Meganmane.

I've not needed to tinker with any of this for a while, so I'm a bit rusty, but I looked at several backup extracting programmes, and the only one that I found was really any good was the Elcomsoft one.  There is a trial version for free, but it won't let you do an awful lot .  If you like to tinker, you can get around some of this with a couple of extra little programmes I have, but, if you are depending on this for your business, I would think you would be advised to buy the fully functioning programme, so that you can open your bbb file and extract it's contents in a number of formats.  It does an awful lot, but, if you follow the faq on the Elcomsoft site, you should get what you want.

http://www.elcomsoft.co.uk/ebbe.html

What's wrong with your old BB, by the way.? You can get nearly all the parts very cheaply on Amazon, and there are plenty of youtube videos to show you how they come apart.  The whole rubber surround 'chassis' comes complete with speakers and contacts and everything in it, and I repaired two Curves for about £8!  You only need a couple of little cheap screwdrivers, and some 'pryers', and these often come with your spare part anyway.  I was even able to repair a number that had stopped working, on a Curve that had been sitting in a drawer for years, because I didn't realise I could fix it.  If you put the model number of your BB  into Youtube, you may well see how to get it working again.

Good luck.