Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
JasonDude
My Device: Not Specified

Re: HOWTO : use your blackberry as a USB device

Probably a bad patch of BBs. I lost alot of my hair trying to make my BB Bold work,followed ALL of the instructions to the letter,browsed some more help but just couldnt make it work. Had to get a card reader :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
regnal88

Do you have to have a media card to get the blackberry and computer to transfer files from computer to blackberry?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

regnal88 : if you have a Storm, you can access the device memory just like the media memory, with just the USB drivers. It may also work like that for the Bold and the Curve 8900.

for all others, with justUSB drivers you cannot access the files in the device memory. You will need the Roxio Media Manager. If I were to choose, I'd rather buy a 5$ media card than install the Media Manager.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vladku

That's the problem!

I can't access either device or memory card from My Computer. All settings are correct. Don't know what to do next. I have even tried to wipe the nadheld and re-install Desktop Mngr.

It's driving me nuts!

Pleease help!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

what is your device?
did you install the USB drivers?
where is the USB cord connected to on the PC? a rear port?
did you wipe the media card?
do you see the new external harddrive appear in the windows Explorer ?
in the system tray, is there the USB icon? Is there a yellow sign on it?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vladku

Thanks for trying to help.

I use Storm with the latest official software. I run Vista.

I cleanly un-installed DM 4.7, removed RIM folders, cleaned up registry from all RIM H_Keys.

I installed USB and Modem drivers from the Blackberry website for DM 4.7

Restarted the laptop. Installed DM 4.7 from the hard disc with full admin rights.

Rebooted again.

Connected USB cable to the back,  connected BB. USB icon appeared on the system tray - 'Blackberry Smartphone detected', then 'Installining device drivers software' > 'Device drivers software installed successfully' > 'Device ready to use - Blackberry smartphone'

In My computer there is neither BB nor media card present.

DM connects with the phone ok. Media card is ok. USB cable is fine. And, yes, the memory settings are checked and as recommended.

Please help if you can.

Thanks again 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
neil64

I too, can not connect to my Curve 8310 as a mass storage deivce.  DM connects, syncs, backs up, etc so it can't be a USB driver issue.  It has to be a BB OS issue.  I am tired of pulling out the SD card to transfer files to and from.

Neil 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jlzimmerman
My Device: Verizon Curve 8330

I'm having the same problem on my 8330.

I followed all the steps in the previous links

I uninstalled the software via add/remove programs, Cleaned out the registry, Cleaned out c:\program files, Reboot, Installed USB and 4.7 drivers, Hard Reboot, Installed Desktop Manager without media manager, Reboot, Had my firewall/anti-virus off during these steps, Etc

The Application Loader within the Desktop Manager will show the apps that are on my BB, the Device Connection tab within Device Manager shows “Connected,” and my BB charges while connected via USB, so there is a connection there, but the BB is still not being detected by Windows Explorer. I tried to baby the physical connection as well as slam it in (as one other user did) but to no avail.  I did ALL these steps on both my laptop and Desktop.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jlzimmerman
My Device: Verizon Curve 8330

I also tried the "Reboot the PC, and while powered on, remove the battery on the BB, reinsert after a few seconds, and reboot the BB" trick and that didn't work either.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

jlzimmerman wrote:
I'm having the same problem on my 8330.

I followed all the steps in the previous links

I uninstalled the software via add/remove programs, Cleaned out the registry, Cleaned out c:\program files, Reboot, Installed USB and 4.7 drivers, Hard Reboot, Installed Desktop Manager without media manager, Reboot, Had my firewall/anti-virus off during these steps, Etc

The Application Loader within the Desktop Manager will show the apps that are on my BB, the Device Connection tab within Device Manager shows “Connected,” and my BB charges while connected via USB, so there is a connection there, but the BB is still not being detected by Windows Explorer. I tried to baby the physical connection as well as slam it in (as one other user did) but to no avail.  I did ALL these steps on both my laptop and Desktop.
Windows Explorer will see the BlackBerry device if there is a media card in it. Otherwise, it's seen as an empty external drive.

Please use plain text.