Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
cesalec
My Device: Not Specified

Re: HOWTO : use your blackberry as a USB device

[ Edited ]

Hi Xandrex,  no I didnt read ALL comments in this thread, normally this threads tend to be repetitive and trying solutions from 2008 are normally unuseful, therefore I concentrate in the last 6 months. Anyway I read the 16 pages right now just to see if I missed something, nop I didnt.

Here is the rundown:

Blackberry Curve 8900 (nevr had this problem before)

- Worked fine till last weekend, when I had to reinstall Win7 ultimate 32b

- reinstalled everything as normal

- downloaded the latest Desktop Manager directly from BB.com (6.2 i think is the version i have)

- I had troubles with syncronization, I backed up and deleted the calendar (because the device has a terrible tendency to duplicate or triplicate calendar entries)

- Anyway, I have spent 2 days researching around on why I cannot see the decive in Win Explorer as usual, this has been the most useful thread.

- Everything is ON in the Memory menu option, except for the encryption.

nothing changed,

- ran the calfix.exe and windows inmediately recognized a blackberry device being installed; "your devices has been succesfully installed and ready to use".

but no changes after that, blackberry aint recognized in the device manager nor the windows explorer.

- I connected another blackberry, a curve 8520, it was immediately recognized in windows explorer as a drive, it doesnt show up in device manager as blackberry, but only as: usb composite device and usb mass storage device. Also I swaped the mem cards between both blackberrys (the card from the BB 8520 to the 8900) same results nothing is detected.

- then I put the 8900 card into the 8520, connected it and voila, I could see my card in Win Explorer, copied everything out of it. :Boat:

Now, that freaks me out, because that means something is wrong with the 8900, it cannot be the device usb hardware since the device can be accessed and read no problems with the Desktop Manager, and it also charges without problems. Therefore it must be something wrong in the software or firmware. :Online2long:

Also... i am guessing a complete device wipeout and os reinstall its the last thing to try (which I wanted to avoid at all costs). :Wacko:

other than that I am blank and idealess

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

if you can see the device in the USB window, then you can look at the computer drives management and look if you can change the letter of the USB drive that repersent your BlackBerry device.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
cesalec

Hi Xandrex, as I explained in the last post, no within the device manager, 2 different blackberrys are not shown as "Blackberry" but only as USB Mass Storage Device, USB composite.

When I plug the second phone, it does get a drive letter atumatically, and thus can see it in windows explorer, the second phone got the drive letter (H:smileyhappy:, I am fairly sure it is a BB OS problem within my curve 8900, a problem which a normal wipe out didnt solve.

So i am guessing I have to truly wipe out the OS System and reload completely from cero, do you have a link to a tutorial for this?

New Contributor
cesalec

I have connected at least 10 other blackberrys withouth problems in my computer over the last week. But I cant figure out what is going on with mine, I think in my last 2 /3 post I explained what was going on, and what I tried, and what I found out so far. No to no vail, my blackberry can be syncd with the desktop manager, but I cannot reach the memory card on mine.

Some help please :Helpsmilie: , anyone?

I´d appreciate any info!

KarlaDJR

Moved: BlackBerry® Desktop Software > Desktop Software for PC

Visitor
dhinz021011
My Device: Curve 8520

Hi..i was trying to download the software from my laptop but as when i run it, the system prompt " the installer package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer package." could you please help me on this one? what should next i need to do? thanks..
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

@dhinz021011

please read this article from the public knowledge base:

Article ID: KB12376 Error "This installation package could not be opened" when installing BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Jillybean528
My Device: blackberry curve

This addresses the problems I've been having and i clicked on the link to get the version I need.  I'm not sure it downloaded as there was no indication that it had actually happened.  As far as my device,  I see no options icon.  There is a media icon but that has options for video, pics music etc.  Is there more that is not displayed on my desktop and if so, how do I access it.?

samurusawyer
My Device: 8520

* 1 Power on your PC and turn on your Blackberry phone. * 2 Insert the Blackberry driver installation software CD that came with your Blackberry phone. If you do not have this, proceed to Step 3. The PC will automatically search for drivers when the phone connects. * 3 Connect the miniature USB end to the mini-USB port on the Blackberry phone. It is advisable to have the cord connected to the phone before connecting it to the computer. That way, when the cord plugs in to the USB port on the PC, it can immediately begin reading the phone's data. * 4 Connect the other standard USB end of the USB/Blackberry connecting cord to a 2.0 USB port on the computer. Most USB ports are 2.0, but if you have an older computer this may not be the case. When you connect the Blackberry, if the USB port is not a 2.0 you will get a pop-up that notifies you of this. You will need to find another computer with a 2.0 USB port to connect to. * 5 Wait for the PC to download and install the drivers that are necessary in order for it to read your Blackberry correctly. A small pop-up will notify you that your device is now installed and ready to be used on the computer.

Visitor
jillanne
My Device: open

Thinks for you answer,the URL info is useful for me,,,