Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: HOWTO : use your blackberry as a USB device

so you are saying you did exactly what is written in the first message of this discussion ?
and when you plug the device, nothing happens anymore ?

please install the drivers again.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
JasonDude
My Device: Not Specified

I did everything to the word. One thing i have noticed when i connect the BB, in BB device manager i get the USB PIN  connected for a second but it dissappears.I am kinda frustrated, BBB is a great phone i am really enjoying it and this is not much of a problem but i want it to work good,and i dont wanna pull out the microSD every time i want something copied. God knows how hard it is to pull the thingt out :smileysad:.
New Contributor
zanam

Hello.

This was just about the only really useful post on how to download and install the BB USB driver. I did everything on the PC and it did find the new driver and recognized a RIM device. I even configured my BB as posted, but when I open  Windows Explorer and go to the drive for the BB-conncted via the USB cable, it says "Please insert a disk into drive D:".

What now???

ZM

Guru I
Xandrex

do you have a media card inserted in your BlackBerry device ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
zanam

Hi.

No I don't - not sure even what the 'media card' is.

What I DO have is a number of photos stored (in the memory, I guess) that I want to download to my PC.I just thought when I connect the USB cable to my PC - same as I do with my digital cameras - I would get a new drive letter, and see the photos and be able to download them.  But all I get is a 'rermovable disk (D:smileyhappy: ' but when I select it, it says 'please insert a disk...'.

Guru I
Xandrex

what is your device model ?
I know that on Pearl/Curve, using the USB mass storage, you can only access the media card (it is a small memory card that you can install inside your BlackBerry device). On these devices, you cannot access the internal memory of the device with USB Mass Storage (UMS).

what you can do :
- email to yourself all the pictures
- use the blackBerry Media Manager on your PC to access the internal memory and copy the files to your pc
- buy a media card and copy the pictures from the internal memory to the media memory, then use UMS

surprisingly, I strongly advice using the last solution, since using a media card has no drawbacks except buying one. And many advantages.

New Contributor
zanam

It says it's a BlackBerry 8310 smartphone (EDGE).

I pulled the back cover off, and I can't even see where a card would go...unless it's this very small empty space right next to the battery - about a third of a regular camera SD card...

And I don't have BB Media Manager software on my PC.

Guru I
Xandrex

zanam wrote:

It says it's a BlackBerry 8310 smartphone (EDGE).

I pulled the back cover off, and I can't even see where a card would go...unless it's this very small empty space right next to the battery - about a third of a regular camera SD card...

It should be a quarter of an SDcard.
mini-SDcard = half SD card
microSD = half miniUSB.

zanam wrote:

And I don't have BB Media Manager software on my PC.

install it. You can download it in a bundle Desktop Manager + Media Manager.

click on the SOFTWARE button on top of the current page.

surfnole

New user to the Storm here, and I am shocked that BB can't even ship a CD that can be read to an end user consumer for a $500 device (if you don't have a service contract).  I am running WinXP and I get messages similar to "Specified Device can not be read at this Time".  That is only after I navigate into the folder system and manually run the Installer because all that appears when I insert the CD is a grey screen.  The grey screen has happened on multiple computers.

Even better, when I download the 4.7 sw from BB, it can't be opened.

Desktop Manager 4.7.0 B50 English - With Media Manager

• File name: 470_b050_english.exe
  • File size: 216.594 MB
  • Date posted: 17-Nov-08

Gives the message:

470_b050_english.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Rather than fight through this on the message boards, I call Verizon and let them deal with it.

New Contributor
vladku

I am going mad.

Spent 2 days trying to  make my Storm work as a mass storage device. No joy. Did exactly as told. Probably about 20 times  - uninstalling, re-installing. Checked settings about a million times. I don't know what to do next. Please help. 

As a result my media sync is not recognising my phone either, although it successfully connects to DM

Please help and save my life - I'm loosing weight and sleep.