Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
Apostata
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

How Do You Update Your BlackBerry (without Windows)?

That about says it. I realise that BlackBerry is late to the Mac-development game (which is a very respectful understatement), but is there no way to install BlackBerry software updates via OSX? I can sync w/ PocketMac, but that's about it.

The more I discover how handicapped BlackBerry's Mac support is, the more regretful I am that I didn't do my research (although I love the Bold).

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
acsnyc
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How Do You Update Your BlackBerry (without Windows)?

I am currently experiencing the same frustration. I spoke to TMobile tech support and had little "support" other than to check out this forum. If I can't find the solution on here, I'm switching to the iPhone - at least I'll be able to use my Mac with it. Get with the program, RIM. Or, more nicely, maybe there's something in progress for us Mac users? I have an error message and need to update with the latest desktop software. I can only think of one PC user and they're more than 500 miles from me.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Apostata
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

acsnyc: I've heard rumours of a RIM-developed OSX frontend for the (Mac-forbidden) Desktop Manager software. That said, I'm still steamed that there's been little to no information available for Mac users on anything other than Pocket Mac sync software, which - as far as I'm concerned - is like a bondo patch on a Ferrari.

Anyone have any information on Mac support?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
acsnyc

I just bought this software for $39.95, but I don't know if it works, because I do not have OS 10.4 (my own mistake). So, if this software works (www.markspace.com), I will post back here again. I have a continual error message right now (jvm 102 reset), so I need to load the desktop software to my bb again (I hope).
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Biff

What kind of Mac support" are you looking for? If you're asking about syncing then there is the free PocketMac and the for purchase Missing Sync from Mark/Space. Both do varying amounts of syncing. Missing Sync is my fave right now as I have had nothing but trouble with the latest version of PocketMac. There is no way to update the actual OS on the BB without using Windows, however if you just purchased your BB then you probably already have the latest OS.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
acsnyc

I do not have the latest OS - for various reasons, one of which is that I've heard that the latest software from Apple is still working itself out. The key here is the following, "There is no way to update the actual OS on the BB without using Windows." This was never explained to me when I bought this device a year ago.

It's due for an upgrade, but in this economic downturn, I was hopeful that I could eke it out for a few more months, sans upgrade (both computer and BB).

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Biff

I'm not sure what you mean by "Apple's latest software s still working itself out" Leopard is now at 10.5.5 so it's pretty well established. I've been using it for a few months now and it's fine. I wouldn't have upgraded initially just in case there were issues but once it hit 10.3 or 10.4 I was ready to move. Missing Sync from Mark/Space works great but you still need the Windows route to update your BB OS. Given the huge disparity between Apple and Windows in terms of market share it's no surprise that you weren't told about the OS update issue. The sales rep probably didn't even know anyway. Besides - give the amount of Windows users out there you probably know someone who can let you use their machine for a bit to do the upgrade. That's what I did. Note that you may need to re-download any 3rd party software and themes once you have done the upgrade.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
acsnyc

Hi Biff - The OS 10.5 seems to work fine, according to my friend, and yes, I'll find a PC user somewhere. I know that I'm part of the Mac minority, but by the tales of woe on this form (not just this thread, but others), I'm not the only one crying foul. Yeah, I get it, have to re-load it once I've downloaded it once, but really, how hard could it be to create a device for the 10-20% of Mac users ( or is it 9%?). I think there is something else to this RIM decision. When I find out, I'll get back to you. In the meantime, I'll hang onto this error message on my curve.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi Acsync,

What is the error message on your Curve?

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
acsnyc

hi b - it's jvm error 102.
Please use plain text.