Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

My Device: curve 8250
My Carrier: vodafone

How do you reset you handset password, if you have forgotten it?

Basically I wanted to get pictures from my blackberry to my computer, so I installed the blackberry desktop application to transfer your media from blackberry to PC. This went fine, so then I plugged my blackberry into my computer using the USB lead, when I did this a box came up asking for my password, I assumed this would be my handset password, however when I tried this it did not work.

So I unplugged my blackberry, and then I tried to go on my blackberry, and it came up asking me to type 'blackberry' into a password box, which I did, and then it asked me for a password, which I typed in my handset password however this is not working Smiley Frustrated

How do I reset my handset password without being able to get onto my blackberry? I dont want to lose all of my photos etc.?

PLEASE HELP !!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How do you reset you handset password, if you have forgotten it?

[ Edited ]

hi and Welcome to the Community!

The password you are thinking it is asking for is indeed the password it needs...the password you have to type in after a reboot or after your BB has been locked. But, something is not going right with the password entry.

How many attempts do you have left? It should be saying, with each prompt for a password, something like 2/10...which would mean the second of ten attempts is about to be made.

If you fail the maximum number of times (the second number in the 2/10 display), your BB will wipe clean of all personal information as part of it's built in security measures. So you need to be very very careful now.

The BB keyboard is tiny, so each key must do many different functions. What is likely happening is that you are pressing the correct keys, but different characters are being sent due to alt, caps, num, or some other key modifier being in place (or not perhaps). So, it's going to take some experimentation for you to get it right, and you only have that number of attempts left to get it right.

So, I suggest you do this...with power on, remove your battery. Wait 5 minutes. Put the battery back in. Wait 20 minutes without doing anything with the BB, even if it appears to be all settled down...be patient or you risk something happening to waste this next chance at getting the password right. My hope is that, by doing this reboot, you will reset your keyboard to whatever defaults it needs in order for the right characters to be sent when you enter your password.

Further, you should not be seeing your password in the clear on the screen when you enter it -- that's normally what happens when you have to type blackberry to continue...but that also normally means that half of your total attempts are already gone. But, with it showing the characters you are sending, you might be surprised by what they are in contrast to the keys you are actually pressing.

Oh, and one more thing...only the password you originally created will work. There is no master password. There is no backdoor password. There is no way to reset the password without successfully first entering the current password. BBs are very secure devices...this is one of those security features.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: LIME

[ Edited ]

I have the same complaint with my device. However, I am down to my final attempt at unlocking my device because it keeps rejecting my password.

The technical support response is not applicable because my password was being displayed and it was still rejected. Instead of panicking, I signed into blackberry protect and tried to reset the device password. It also said that my original password is incorrect or forgotten.

I know I did not change my password, I simply connected my device to my computer using my usb cable. And the response on blackberry protect is that there must be a different password for my device, one that I did not set.

If it is definately not a case where the keyboard is causing the password to be incorrect... what could the problem be?  What could the password be, If it is not the one that I originally created?

Please respond as soon as possible because I have only one attempt left!!! Please!

Hall of Famer II

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I cannot tell you why your password is not what you think it is. All I can know is that, from what you describe, it indeed is not what you think it is. Something changed it, but there's no way to reverse engineer and figure out what did that.

Sometimes, it's a matter of numbers/special characters in the password. Either when being created or used, if the exact same sequence of the key modifiers (e.g., num, sym) are not used, then the result will be a mismatch.

There is no master or override password to resolve this. Only that password can unlock your BB. With only one attempt left, there just are not enough chances to get it right as you only have one "experiment" left...not likely to succeed.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

My password is a simple eight(8) digit code.... eight numbers that are very  hard to forget. And from my readings of other similar problems, It seems that there is a bug.

However, I fear what will happen after the last attempt fails. Will the device still request this now "unknown password" or will it accecpt my orginal 8digit one?

I am now beginning to lose it!!!

Hall of Famer II

Upon the last failure, the BB will wipe clean and be like a brand hew device. No password at all will be assigned to it, and you start over (starting, of course, with restoring from your most recent backup).

I am not familiar with all of these "readings of other similar problems" you report. There are plenty of threads here where folks have forgotten their password and wind up wiping, but only rarely do I recall anyone discussing a situation close to yours.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Well, I guess I'm just gonna jump in then! Atleast, I do have a backup to restore from... 

Thank you for helping me.