Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
bugradx2
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: AT&T

How easy is it to control Desktop software?

I just replaced a 7130 & got a Curve 8310 and have always synced everything wireless through the company's enterprise server.  In a past life I used to "support" the old style blackberries that would only work if you plugged them into the cradle to sync your email.  (note - support means "you're an engineer, whats wrong with my blackberry before I call PC support in the next state over")

When I got the 7130 I was "warned" not to install the desktop software because it would force the blackberry to sync via the USB and then hose up all my wireless settings so I never bothered to install the desktop.

The point of all this is - I've got this new Curve and would like to be able to take advantage of all the capabilities it offers.  Can I install the software and set it to never attempt to sync email, PIM, etc?  Only media and the "fun stuff"?  I'm on a pc running XP and use Outlook.

Thanks for any help.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Ben
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How easy is it to control Desktop software?

Sounds like your company has a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.   IT Departments will generally take the stance that they don't want employees installing the Desktop Manager because if it's done wrong, it will screw up your connection.

However its pretty simple to install it correctly.

When installing the Desktop Manager, one screen will ask you your integration option and give you two options:

1) BlackBerry Enterprise Server

2) BlackBerry Internet Service

When you install, choose 2) BlackBerry Internet Service.   This will prevent the Desktop Manager from trying to get information about your BES, and subsequently screw stuff up.    Also make sure you don't actually try to setup up the synchronization settings.

If your just looking to do the fun stuff (charge via PC, transfer files/video) then this will give it to you.

Of course, I can't guarantee you won't get attacked by Nerd Rage'd IT Staff if they find out you did this :smileywink: 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bugradx2

Thanks a lot!  I'll give it a shot and hope the police aren't watching.  Funny part of it is, I'm not worried that I'll get in trouble, (I won't) I'm worried that they won't be able to fix it if something does go wrong.  The guys on the help desk aren't always the greatest.

Just out of curiosity, what am I telling the program when I select the Blackberry Internet Service?  How do I make sure that I don't set up the syncronization stuff?  Is there a menu out there or with my luck, will I stumble across it? 

BTW - you were also correct, we use an Enterprise server. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Ben

bugradx2 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what am I telling the program when I select the Blackberry Internet Service?  How do I make sure that I don't set up the syncronization stuff?  Is there a menu out there or with my luck, will I stumble across it? 

Choosing BlackBerry Internet Service just says that your a consumer user.   It makes no difference towards how you will use the software, it just dosn't install the configuration files that connect to your companies BES.    You can't accidently enable this afterwards, it would require you to uninstall and then reinstall the software. 

As for syncronization, just never touch the "Syncronize" option in the Desktop Manager.   No sync settings are configured by default, so if you never touch it, it will never try to. 
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bugradx2

Awesome!  I think I can manage to stay away from that.

Thanks Ben

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jram101

Ben wrote:

Of course, I can't guarantee you won't get attacked by Nerd Rage'd IT Staff if they find out you did this :smileywink: 

Hey!  I'm one of those guys!  I take offense to that.  NOT!  Just give the IT techs some cookies or coffee and they'll forget about it.  We like bribes. 
--------------------------------------
BB 8130 Pearl
IT Professional
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ma077146

In regards to syncing the BB, whether you do it via usb cable or wirelessly, you have to enable the sync.  Can't remember what it's called in the Desktop Manager, but if you look at the option menu for mail, phone, calendar, etc on your Berry, you'll see the option to allow wireless synchronization.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like if you choose to sync your calendar wirelessly, you can't sync it via the DM without changing that setting on the Berry itself?  Does that sound familiar to anyone? 

http://ezreregister.com
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Ben

Mostly right.   In bugradx2's situation he is connected to a BES, so he will have the Wireless Syncronization option and it will be set to Yes.   This will also prevent him from setting up the wired syncronization with the Desktop Manager.   You will only see this option in a BES enviroment.    A BIS user will not have this option, as BIS only does wireless Email.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RoninV

Looking to sync my Calendar (Outlook 2000, Exchange 2003, no BES) with my Pearl. It's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), that I should be using Desktop Manager v4.2 SP2, and using BIS? Will I have the option of syncing wirelessly or with the included USB cable?

Please use plain text.