Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

How to Install Desktop Software 6 Silently

[ Edited ]

In previous versions of Blackberry Desktop Manger, there was a file in the installation directory called 'install.txt.'  In this file were parameters for the [INSTALL_OPTIONS] tag, which you could copy/paste into the setup.ini file in the install directory to customize your installation.

Desktop Software 6 does not have the 'install.ext' file, but it does have the setup.ini file.  I tried adding my old [INSTALL_OPTIONS] tags to the new setup.ini file but they don't work.  I ran the setup.exe file with the /? tag to see if I could get any insight on how to install silently.  All this gives me is the following:

Command line parameters:

/L language ID

/S Hide initialization dialog.  For silent mode use: /S /v /qn.

/V parameters to MsiExec.exe

/UA<url to InstMsiA.exe>

/UW<url to InstMsiW.exe>

/UM<url to msi package>

/US<url to lsScript.msi>

Do any of these command line parameters actually work?  Nope.

I am trying to perform silent installations of Desktop Manager, which is something I had no problem doing with previous versions, but now I can no longer perform silent installations.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How to Install Desktop Software 6 Silently

Ended up solving my own problem.  

For those of you that want a completely silent unattended installation of desktop manager, just run the Blackberry Desktop Software.msi file with a /qn tag.  Simple enough.

Visitor
My Device: Curve

I know that the /qn allows for a silent install but is there a way to pass other parameters to the BlackBerry Desktop Software.msi program to for instance prevent the creation of a desktop icon?  I believe that was a facility in an earlier release of the Blackberry Desktop install.

Thanks

My Device: Torch 9800