Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Developer
mnkumar
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

How to copy a file from a specific folder in BlackBerry to Desktop

Hi All,

Iam new to BlackBerry programming. My requirement is how to copy certain files (say excel files) in a specified folder in the BlackBerry to the desktop computer. Can anyone guide me what programming software to be used to do this job.

Can anyone please tell how the file system (folder management) would be in BlackBerry.

Thanks,

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: How to copy a file from a specific folder in BlackBerry to Desktop

you can do that using the Windows Explorer and setting your blackberry device in UMS mode. Does this answer your need ?
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&thread.id=3...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer
mnkumar

Hi. I want this to be done through a program and not manually. I see many softwares in this website. Can you please recommend what programming software to be used and what other tools are required for this job.
Guru I
Xandrex

once your Blackberry is connected as a remote harddrive, you can use any programming language to do synchronization from one Windows Folder to another.

perl, sh, batch, visual basic, php, python, C#, C, C++ ...

but that has nothing to do with Blackberry technologies.
I'd recommend perl since it's easy to code. But VB is fine too.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer
mnkumar

I have checked it. When BlackBerry is connected to the computer, it appears under a different section "Portable devices" in My Computer. While when a pen drive is connected, then it appears with some drive letter say "D:\" under the section "Devices with Removable Storage" in My Computer. I have checked programmatically in VB and in .Net and Iam able to get the control over removable drives which has drive letters say "C:\", "D:\" etc, and not over removable devices which does'nt have any drive letter. Please Help.
Guru I
Xandrex

you should either configure your Windows so that the removable disk is affected the same letter each time
or you should look the documentation on how to code with visual basic.

New Developer
mnkumar

My BB device has micro-sd media card in it. When i connect it to computer, a new drive appears under "removable storage" in "My Computer". I can manually go into that drive and browse folders/files. I can also programmatically copy files between BB device and desktop computer.

I have one more BB, which doesn't have media card and when it is connected to computer a new drive appears under "removable storage" in "My Computer". But I could not able to open that drive manually - a message says "Please insert the disk..." even after we open BDM. So, programmatically we cannot copy files to it. BB will also have its own internal memory. Is it necessary to have separate sd card in BB to get a accessible drive in "My Computer" and so, we can copy files programmatically.

What is the price of media card (say 1 GB).

Is it possible to develop an application, which resides in BB's internal memory, which can access files located in media card ?

Guru I
Xandrex

mnkumar wrote:

Is it necessary to have separate sd card in BB to get a accessible drive in "My Computer" and so, we can copy files programmatically.

What is the price of media card (say 1 GB).

on your device, you have internal memory (aka device memory) and you have a microSD card (aka media memory).
the media memory can be seen by your PC using USB Mass Storage (which you can do on the first Blackberry).
the device memory cannot be seen that way. The Roxio Media Manager can do that, as well as one module of the Desktop Manager 4.7 (does not work on 4.6 and prior).

a Sandisk 4GB media card costs less than 4USD on Amazon.

mnkumar wrote:

Is it possible to develop an application, which resides in BB's internal memory, which can access files located in media card ?

Yes it is possible. You can look for resources on the top of this page, in the "DEVELOPERS" link. If you have questions about that you can post them on the "Java Development" board on this forum.
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board?board.id=java_dev

bonave
My Device: BlackBerry 8700c

try this C# code for copy file

http://net-informations.com/csprj/file/cs-copy-delete.htm

bn.